Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone still finding exploration to be skewed? If so, has anyone come up with a solution? If not, what strategies eliminate the so-called "imbalance" in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we've never had a problem with it, but we misunderstood a rule.
our variant, which seems to fix the problem and makes for a better game,
is the following:

In order to select an action, the player must be able to perform the action, and in order to select a 2x, you must use both actions.
works very well and leads to some difficult decisions. I'm not sure, I'll play any other way again.

give it a try and let me know how it works with your group.

Marc M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
easterly1 wrote:
we've never had a problem with it, but we misunderstood a rule.
is the following:

In order to select an action, the player must be able to perform the action, and in order to select a 2x, you must use both actions.
works very well and leads to some difficult decisions.
Marc M

This doesn't seem to work well. Why? At the start of the game and during other points as well, it's near impossible to select a 2X action.

For example, at the start, you only have control of 1 factory, 1 harbour and perhaps one settlement. The first few turns will be absolutely slow and predictable (settle, income, explore, move), etc.

Could be me, but I'm under the impression that the first player to choose an action has to choose the 2X one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:

Could be me, but I'm under the impression that the first player to choose an action has to choose the 2X one.

Yes, as stated earlier, that this appears to be the way the designer intended the game to be played, although the rules are less then definitive. (hence the "variant" remark.)cool

shawn_low wrote:
easterly1 wrote:
is the following:

works very well and leads to some difficult decisions.
Marc M

This doesn't seem to work well. Why? At the start of the game and during other points as well, it's near impossible to select a 2X action.

For example, at the start, you only have control of 1 factory, 1 harbour and perhaps one settlement. The first few turns will be absolutely slow and predictable (settle, income, explore, move), etc.

Yes, this will slow down the game, but after all that *is* the point, since the main complaint about the game is a premature ending due to overaggressive exploration. So this variant does lengthen the game in a positive manner while offering a broader decision tree. IMHO

It does make for a better game, since it adds additional tension to the choices you have to make. It forces a player to set up their moves in advance. For example on turn 1, I have the choice of taking a 2x for proliferation or say exploration in an effort to be able to take a 2x in another action, while knowing that the proliferation 2x will no longer be available to me. Fewer guys with a chance for more money...

Also, we've never had a problem with players being unable to select 2x actions, albeit they may not be able to select a 2x in their 'best' action. The overall effect is that a player is often faced with the decision of taking a 2x in there 2nd or 3rd option vs. a single x action in their best option. This will happen for two reasons. 1) two actions in something may be better in the long run then the single action that helps you immediately & 2) taking a 2x from another player may be more beneficial to you then letting that player get the benefits from what may be their lone 2x option.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Scholsser has the best solution I think, and that's just to play the game out rather than let it end when all tiles have been revealed. The elections and other positions weigh in much more heavily then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.