Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BROGFEST 2006

February 2nd through the 5th, in Charleston, South Carolina

BROGfest is The Deep South’s premier . . . well, only . . . gathering of consim and Euro gamers held in one of the country’s great tourist cities in a prime setting. BROGfest is a gathering of gamers and a great weekend for families.

Location: BROGfest 2006 is being held, again, at The Vendue Inn (http://www.vendueinn.com) in downtown Charleston, a marvelous bed-and-breakfast style hotel in the heart of Restaurant Row, antique stores, and a half a block from The Battery (harbor). This is a prime location. Read the following reactions by some past attendees:

“BROGfest was most enjoyable. The Vendue is an excellent hotel, with an amazingly attentive and helpful staff. The special $99 rate was quite a bargain when you consider that it included: an excellent breakfast buffet, afternoon wine-and-cheese, and evening cordial-and-cookies. The rooms are rather elegant, and the lobby areas are reminiscent of staying in a friend's mansion. … A great place.”

The Hotel/Rooms: The Vendue Inn is holding 3 smaller rooms (1 queen-size bed, but an “inside” view) at $99 each, 4 larger rooms with one queen bed at $109 each room, and 3 rooms with king-sized beds at $119. (The rates for these last two are considerably cheaper than in the past!!). The room price includes full breakfast, afternoon wine & cheese, and a bunch of other goodies. Parking is $12 a day (valet), and the usual exorbitant local taxes apply. These rooms will be available for Thursday through Saturday nights. If you wish to book for longer, discuss this with the Hotel staff.

In order to get one of these rooms you must call the hotel (1-800-845-7900), tell them you’re with BROGfest and do it before January 6th 2006. (There are some more expansive, and expensive, rooms (up to mid $200’s) in the hotel, but they are not part of our agreement.) If you book after that date, you are taking a chance the rate will go up … and there won’t be any rooms.

Other Hotels: If you cannot afford to get one of the above rooms, or there are none available (they are limited), there are many places just outside downtown that you can use and cost rather less than the above. Let us know of your interest in doing that and we’ll send you information. You’ll need a car, and parking in downtown Charleston is not easy.

Travel by Car: We assume most people will be arriving by car. If you need directions, find them on the hotel website (complete with downtown map).

Travel by Air: If you plan on coming in by plane, the airport is 15 minutes from downtown, is very new and very empty, and I will arrange to have you picked up (if you let me know exact time of arrival.)

The Game Room: The room we will be gaming in – The Crow’s Nest - is atop the roof of The Vendue Inn, with a magnificent view of downtown Charleston and the Harbor (you can see Ft Sumter). It is smoke free. It is also a 5 second walk to The Rooftop Bar (see the website), a popular local spot which will bring food and drinks if asked. (If the weather is nice, there are plenty of tables to play outside there. It should amuse the locals to no end.) The Crow’s Nest will be open for gaming from 8 AM to Midnight (maybe longer) on Thursday thru Saturday, and 8 AM to 2 PM on Sunday.

“The gaming area was in a private room called the Crow's Nest. It had plenty of room, and was just a few feet away from a restaurant/bar with a nice harbor view. It is undoubtedly the most elegant space ever devoted to gaming.”

Games: Anything is playable, although there will not be much space for 6-map monster games. There may be some future games to playtest, as we usually get a handful of designers. Games have ranged from classic hexoid battles, to multi-player CDG’s, to popular Euros and late night “BANG!” brouhahas. We suggest using the BROGfest folder (under Game Conventions) on Consimworld (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@235.Kt53baNMGKv.546933@....) to see who’s bringing what.

Food: Charleston is one of the great culinary cities in this country, with more great restaurants per head than any other place. The hotel is in the heart of the restaurant district, with eateries ranging from a Subway, to the local brewery pub, to a half dozen elegant and pricey A-List dining establishments, all within one block walk. There is also a marvelous coffee house across the street (as well as a men’s spa, if you need a massage and pedicure). My club is next door.

Saturday Night Dinner: We plan, yet again, to hold a dinner in one of the A-List places on E. Bay St, , within one block of the hotel. The cost will be c. $40 per person, and you must let us know you wish to join in, so we can book enough area.

Tourist Stuff: If you’re bringing your family – and many attendees are - there is much to do, and all can be arranged through the (lovely) hotel concierges. Charleston is a major tourist city. There are plantations, art galleries, carriage tours, antique stores, good theater, or just walking around downtown.

Attendance Fee: The fee is $50 (up from last year! … the cost of renting went way up), per game-playing attendee, payable •• by check: Richard Berg, 7321 Water Thrush Ct, Goose CreekSC29445, or •• by PayPal: BergBROG@AoL.com before you arrive.

Published Game Designers do NOT have to pay the Attendance Fee.

Contact Information

We can be reached by email at Berg2BROG@AoL.com, or by phone at

1-843-818-2206.
The Vendue Inn can be reached by phone at 1-800-845-7900 or at http://www.vendueinn.com

BROGFEST Sign-Up Sheet

I will be attending ______________________________

The Attendance Fee ($50) is enclosed _________ was sent by PayPal_______

I am coming alone ___________ With Family ___________

I will be staying at ______________________________

I need information on local hotels with less expensive rooms _____________

I’d like to share a room; please let me know who else wants to do so ________

I am arriving by car ________ plane (and need to be picked up) ___________

I wish to attend the Saturday night Dinner _____________________

My name is ________________________

My email is _______________________

Please email to

Berg2BROG@AoL.com

or

Mail: Richard Berg, 7321 Water Thrush Ct, Goose CreekSC29445

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
[size=11]I 'know' that I've asked this before... SO... is there gonna 'be' any "punch & pie"?
MORE PEOPLE WILL 'GO' IF THERE'S "punch & pie"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Groggy, Groggy, Groggy. shake Always with the violence. You should come. I think you'd enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.