Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of AH last night by myself. I was great. I used the Doctor, and I essentially lost, but I enjoyed losing.

However, after coming back here today I realized that I was missing a huge part of the rules. For some reason, I thought that you had to have four clue token in order to close a gate! No wonder I was having such a hard time!

Tonight I'm playing again. I don't want to make variations to the game until I've one it solo-style in its natural state. I'm sure it can be done. I'm doing it random investigator, random Ancient One.

I know I'm truly a geek because all I can think about today is putting the kids to bed and playing this game! I'm far too excited for an adult! Giddy giddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you had a good time. Consider that you might not want to really close gates without sealing them, which takes clue tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sealing the gate is 5 clue tokens (or 8 with one of the Ancient ones). Closing is no cost but a gate could open there again.

Or you could skip that part of the game and just fight the Ancient One (Azahoth excepted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five? Oh, that's right. I'll tell ya what. Starting out by yourself with no one to lead you into it is tough. I kept thinking I was missing parts of the round. Its odd also to be playing by myself....

Okay its my turn.
Okay now its my turn.
Kay my turn.
My turn now.

Maybe that's what was throwing me off.

I did read that about not closing gates without sealing them. Sounds like it could get nasty. I had seven gates open last night, so the terror track was just flying up. I had to quit before I was overrun and maimed, but I know it was inevitable.

Now I need to read some Lovecraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squashua

Coconut Creek
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo games with a single character are TOUGH.

It's much easier to use 4 characters at once; it's MUCH more bookkeeping (keep an eye on Upkeep), but you will be able to get much more done. Use the flowcharts found in the files section here to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balls To The Wall
No way man.
I'm going in Solo El Grrrrrrrrrrrrande!
I may die, but I'll die fighting!
The box says 1-8 players. I'm gonna beat it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We win over 80% with 4 players and no optional rules (overall as the tougher AOO's make it about 60/40 and some of the easier ones have never been lost too).

With two players its still about 65% (about 4/6 wins) although some of those could have gone either way.

One player is much much harder. Id say you really need to know what your doing and get lucky with elder seals to win with 1. In particular if you start with a character with few or no clue tokens and no elder seal your just going to lose because by the time youve got enough clues to close and seal your first gate and gone through and come back the game will already be out of control. Further, most of the rumours are just doable with 2 players but practically impossible with 1 which means if you draw a bad one early you'll probably just lose as well.

Essentially 2 player is a tough challenge with the rules as written which makes the game one of skill (rather than with 4 or 5 players where you can still bumble around to an extent and still win provided you follow the basic gameplan of sealing the common gates first). 1 player I think is more an exercise in not drawing cards which would make it impossible for you to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight. Makes a lot of sense. My experience last night showed me that, yes, it doesn't take very long for everything in the town to go completely nutso in the three turns it takes to close a gate. Even getting delayed causes chaos. But I'm going to go with one investigator one more time tonight to get a better grasp on the rules while I'm losing so I can be better prepared for the juggling required to play two or more.

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more, or fill the wall up with our Arkham dead.

Wish me luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try starting with Mandy. Overall she is the best character by far and your most likely prospect of winning solo provided you start with or can find a decent weapon early on or something to increase her sneak skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
I lost soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity Brian, how long is a total solo game (1 player, 1 character) taking? I have had the game for a long time now and due to RL commitments can't get the family or a group together to play.

I'll have to try and squeeze in a solo game myself and see how it flies.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of hours at least. Although I could have conceded earlier!

One optional variant is to say you can wake up the Old One if you want to. This can be a quicker win than sealing all those gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the two hour average. I think that's about how long it took me both times.

I don't like the idea of "allowing" myself to just awaken the AO whenever I want. It really detracts from the game mechanics. I think that you have to be really staunch on the rules when you're playing solo... why play by yourself if you're going to cheat? Wouldn't that be self-defeating? I know you don't actually mean that solo players should "cheat" by waking the AO, but I think its too tempting to adjust things to one's liking when playing alone as-is. When I've played solo, I play for gates, not for AO encounters. I try to play the game as the designer has said he intended it, that the AO fights are there just as a last ditch effort to win. The real gameplay is in sealing the gates.

I've really enjoyed playing solo. I think I might actually get to play a four or five player game tomorrow... Giddy giddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you are right, really I wanted to see what a fight with the big boss looked like, so I could run one smoothly with new players.

Tomorrow morning I will probably be going solo again, because I always turn up on time for the Games Society meeting. I mean, we have the room booked for 10 am, so why not use it? Of course, everyone else arrives about 1pm. This time, as well as setting the game up, I get to play!

(my fellow gamers tried to persuade me to watch Dick and Dom instead, I mean, what the?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello I've never had the courage to play solo but I would recommend the scientist (sorry the name escapes me) ifn I was to do so, her special ability is one of the best in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Yeah, you are right, really I wanted to see what a fight with the big boss looked like, so I could run one smoothly with new players.

Tomorrow morning I will probably be going solo again, because I always turn up on time for the Games Society meeting. I mean, we have the room booked for 10 am, so why not use it? Of course, everyone else arrives about 1pm. This time, as well as setting the game up, I get to play!

(my fellow gamers tried to persuade me to watch Dick and Dom instead, I mean, what the?)

I always turned up at 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played solo, I had no clue what I was doing. I used the Doctor and I was utterly defeated.

The second run thru I used the researcher chick (name?). She was very handy. A solo game with no variants is hard, and I'm not sure I would have made it as far as I did without the researcher. I still lost, but I was so close that I could taste the victory on my tongue right before it was snatched from me. I'm pretty sure that the best way to play to good hard solo game is to pull random investigator and random AO. I like a hard game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Yeah, sealing the gate is 5 clue tokens (or 8 with one of the Ancient ones). Closing is no cost but a gate could open there again.

Or you could skip that part of the game and just fight the Ancient One (Azahoth excepted).

I wish there was some sort of incentive to actually closing a gate instead of sealing it. Yeah you get the gate token, but it's hardly worth the risk of another gate opening there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like it that way. It gives you hard choices to make. Last night when I was playing, we were desperately low on clues and no one had elder signs. Our doom track was low, and I really needed those clues, so I intentionally went to a gate in the graveyard and closed it without sealing it to get the trophy so I could turn it in at the Science Building for clues. I knew there was a risk of another gate opening, but I thought it more important to seal ANY gate then to wander around aimlessly without clues. Of course, the gate opened back up, but that was the risk I took. Some places are better than others for this sort of risk. I think the graveyard is actually a pretty frequent gate spot, so I was begging for trouble. But the Silver Lodge or the Roadhouse are pretty low traffic. You could definitely justify the risk of closing those gates for the sake of the trophies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't turn up on time. I turned up about 11.30 and found people playing Settlers. Anyway, that story is told elsewhere ("The Unusually Shaped Island" see also "In Which Yig very nearly Perishes").

If the Gate is actually on the Science Site it is even more worth closing it... The time it is not worth closing the gate is when your buddy is just behind you in the Other World and he has 5 Clue Tokens... but that won't happen in a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When your victory comes it will be that much sweeter. You should do a session report of your inevitable victory over the dark one that would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I just did a another solo game last night, and Yig smoked me again!
I was the scientist this time. Two turns more and I would have had it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.