Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Palmer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With 1st edition Runebound, my gaming group and I always used the softer knockouts. Since Runebound is a long game anyways, if players play conservatively it will further drag on what is essentially a race game. I received second edition this Christmas, and played in a three-player game. All of us died once or twice, and even the soft knockout rules were fairly crippling.

An alternative: (Assuming you are not playing with the doom track.) When a player is knocked out, they lose nothing. Instead they take one of the skull tokens that is used for the doom track. The player then loses X turns where X is the total number of skull tokens that they have. If there are no more skull tokens available they take a token from the player of their choice.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam McCanna
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i like it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's not a bad idea in theory, I think in practice having to sit out turns (especially 2 or more if you've been knocked out more than once) will be really boring for the affected person. Especially so with more players, since the turns take a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that does not make the idea any less cute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of it, but would opt for capping it at 2 rounds (fixed). That way there is a significant penalty for "chancing" the encounters, while not totally destroying the player if they get mashed. I think in race games you want to set someone back for losing, but not take them out of the running altogether. A harsher variant would be to make them start over as a new player, sans everything. While more realistic (in a fantasy sort of way) this would really crank up the grind of the already long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm playing necromancer here, but I just got the game and wanted to add a comment. We will be playing with this on our second go around but instead give the knocked out player the option of the typical 'soft knockout' or this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.