Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. Just got the game, and it seems like a lot of fun. But there's a few lingering questions that I have about the whole thing, mostly involving millitary units, although I'm sure I'll have more later, after I've test played it more.

1. What's the deal with the Nat. Guard Units. I guess they are like wild card units that can be directly placed on a city or base in danger or something like that, right?

So, given that they can be used by anyone, who rolls for them during an attack. I'm guessing that if you are the one moving them (if you have the card that lets you move them) that that person rolls. But what if one of them is involved in a defense, who does the rolling then? Does it matter? Can a player spend infamy to change a Nat. Guard roll?

2. Why would you place the extra, unused millitary units on the board if less than four players are in the game? Are they just their to get in the way? Is their ANY way for player to use them? Once again, who rolls for them if the monster attacks? Can a player use infamy to improve those rolls?

3. Do you only get a millitary research card if it's your millitary units that moved into a monster hex and you win?

Well, that's it for now. Now that I think about it, I guess im still trying to find a way to effectively use the millitary units. Most times, it just seems that a monster can simply juke around them (espically in the target crowded northeast) to find lots of little things to stomp on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:
Hi all. Just got the game, and it seems like a lot of fun. But there's a few lingering questions that I have about the whole thing, mostly involving millitary units, although I'm sure I'll have more later, after I've test played it more.

1. What's the deal with the Nat. Guard Units. I guess they are like wild card units that can be directly placed on a city or base in danger or something like that, right?

City, base, OR infamy sight. Remember there is a one unit (regardless of military branch) limit per hex per player round (you can't place a NG unit and one of your own on the same base in the same round). Often we form a very temporary alliance - let's say that someone is headed for LA. It's worth 3 dice of health, so two or three players will agree to each place a NG unit there, so by the time monster X gets there, there may be 4 or 5 units there - maybe enough to stop him for a round.

So, given that they can be used by anyone, who rolls for them during an attack. I'm guessing that if you are the one moving them (if you have the card that lets you move them) that that person rolls. But what if one of them is involved in a defense, who does the rolling then? Does it matter? Can a player spend infamy to change a Nat. Guard roll?

If no one has the Guard Commander card, then it doesn't matter who rolls (when my son plays, HE always gets to roll, since 7-year olds LOVE rolling dice whenever they can!)

You can only use infamy tokens for your MONSTER, not your military units.

2. Why would you place the extra, unused millitary units on the board if less than four players are in the game? Are they just their to get in the way? Is their ANY way for player to use them? Once again, who rolls for them if the monster attacks? Can a player use infamy to improve those rolls?

The extra military units are just that - roadblocks. Again, they can be very useful for you if you add some NG units to a big city or base to try to keep other monsters from getting health or infamy tokens for free.

3. Do you only get a millitary research card if it's your millitary units that moved into a monster hex and you win?

That's correct. If a monster invades a space with military units in it and loses, the owner of that military would not get a research card.

Well, that's it for now. Now that I think about it, I guess im still trying to find a way to effectively use the millitary units. Most times, it just seems that a monster can simply juke around them (espically in the target crowded northeast) to find lots of little things to stomp on.

I strongly feel that military units can play a vital role. After just a couple games with a more serious gaming group, we found LOTS of ways to (temporarily) combine forces to really screw a monster that was getting too powerful. They are especially good at blocking a monster. It is not always so easy to just move your monster around a force. If you have two or three hexes that contain military units, the other monster will have to spend two or more turns to either move around or fight through a "blockade", wasting valuable time as other monsters acquire mutations, health, infamy, etc (of course if the monster can fly, then it does no good - but most can't).

Remember, too, that the game is not set up for the military to be able to necessarily "kill" the monsters, but if you gather up a force of 4 or 5 units and have a cool research card or two, you can severely weaken an opponent's monster as you work towards the monster challenge. It makes for a tough decision, as the monster, to decide if you want to win a fight against tanks and planes and get your "prizes" by wasting infamy tokens, or if you want to save them for the end.

Give the game a couple more plays, and focus on strategies for the military. I think you'll be suprised. We were pleasantly suprised for such a relatively light game to have such "strategic" possibilities.

P.S. Sorry for messing up your original question. I'm still no good at figuring out how to use the "quote" function properly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the quick response. Yea, I kind of figured that this was a game where the millitary was used to harass the main character, instead of wiping them out (a bit like the starfighter cards in The Queen's Gambit).

And, like you said, with the right crowd (and lots of temp alliances) I can really see where you have to make a lot of decisions.

After testing it out a little bit more, I think this is also a game where the first few turns are wide open, since there are so many targets and what not, but as it all weeds out, there and nearby targets have been picked through, it's at this stage where you have to use some finesse.

Still, there's a part of me that finds it real hard to use the units the way my gut WANTS to use them, but I think that's just a matter of altering my mindset when playing this one, after all, it's not Heroscape.

Thanks a lot for the help, and who knows, im pretty sure ill have more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here we go, right on schedule, with another question.

Regarding Infamy tokens.

The Book says they can be played at ANY time...does this mean you can use them even when it not your turn in the round?

For instance, during the monster challenge, if my opponant is about to roll, can i burn an infamy token to "intrupt" their roll for a free attack? afterwhich, they would resume with their attacks?

if so, this can get real complicated, as thats how we played it above the other night.

After i burned a few infamy tokens at the end of my monster challenge attack, my opponent took over, but before he started his three attacks, he decided to burn all three of his infamy tokens at once; well, then how would I get to use mine to "butt in" if he's just burnt three in a row? What if we both want to use one at the same time?

All this is easily solved if you can only play an infamy token on your specfic turn, but the book does say ANY time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a very interesting point! I checked through the rules and you are absolutely correct - it does say "use at ANY time". I've played with a couple different gaming groups, and we always assumed that it meant you can use them during any one of your rounds of combat - meaning you could take your monsters three attacks, and then continue making additional attacks as long as you had infamy to spend if you chose to do so. It never occured to any of us that you could use them during someone else's combat rolls to "interrupt' an opponents dice throws...

I ,of course, don't know what the original intent was, but I think that we will continue to play the way we have been (at least, that will be MY opinion on how to address the issue - I don't feel the need to contact Avalon Hill to ask them). I agree with you that it could get very complicated to decide who, if both players had infamy, would get to use the infamy first, if you didn't limit the infamy token's use to YOUR round of dice-rolling.

By allowing the use of infamy tokens only to your round of attacking, it DOES allow for a monster (especially during the monster challenge) to make 5, 10, or more attacks before another monster even gets a chance to retailiate - almost assuring that monster's victory. However, if you use most or all of your tokens that way, you won't have any (or many) left for the NEXT monster - which requires you to carefully "budget" how many you use. It also makes the monster challenge spaces and certain research cards more relevant (blond allure, helo lift, etc) for the game, as they can decide who becomes the challenger.

There's my two cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:
The Book says they can be played at ANY time...does this mean you can use them even when it not your turn in the round?

My book says they can be cashed in for an "extra attack" at any time.

To me, that means "in addition to an attack I'm already making".

So, we play: No, you cannot use an Infamy token during the other player's attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hearne
United States
Danville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
Yib-Yab wrote:

My book says they can be cashed in for an "extra attack" at any time.

To me, that means "in addition to an attack I'm already making".

So, we play: No, you cannot use an Infamy token during the other player's attack.

This is how we read the rules and play, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Infamy only when you are in battle. Since Monsters can only use Infamy, and they can only be in the same hex during the monster challenge, you couldn't battle the monster, because you aren't in the hex with that monster until they get to your turn in the challenge.

To one of your first questions about who roles. Only the attacker rolls. As you mentioned, what about if they survived the three attacks....that is a good question....I would just pick the player to the left or right as a setup rule. Usually those units don't survive so well since they can't move, so there is usually not a lot of buildup on guard spaces in my experence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.