Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I WAS SO DAMN CLOSE! IT COULD TASTE IT! TASTE IT I TELL YOU!

Ahem. Sorry about that.

As my last post stated, I am determined to win this game solo with one investigator. I got the swing of things now and I jumped in headlong tonight.

Though I took Doctor Lee and Azathoth out of the running because I played them last night, I picked totally randomly and ended up with Mandy Thompson (yay) and Hastur. Unfortunately, playing solo is hard enough, and Hastur makes all gates require 8 instead of 5 clues tokens to seal, so I reluctantly cast him aside and drew one more time (did I actually dare to call this process random?). I ended up with Nyarlathotep. He makes the mask monsters come into play. Mandy got agoo nice knife, a map of the town, and a pretty cloak to start with, and I was on the move.

I was rockin' man! The first gate opened in Independance Square. Mandy's pretty quick on her feet, so I immediately ran to the store and bought a holy cross. A gate opened in the woods. I ran to the roadhouse and got a clue so I could get to smackin down some evil-doers (did I just say that?). Some poor fool tried to pickpocket me while I was talking to Hibbs, but failed, because low-lifes often do. Gate opened at the Unnamed. I jumped into the Independance Square gate and sealed it. Gate opened at the Witchhouse, then the Unvisited Isle. At this point I hadn't fought one monster, so I went and picket a fight with a wussy ol' Byakee just for the hell of it. Smoked him, and was saved by the seal I had just put up at Independance Square. I had a Chithonian sucking the life out of me every turn, so I planned to go kill him, but a Mythos card did the job for me. I ran for the witchhouse to take care of that gate, and closed it, but in my folly I had miscounted my chits and I only had four clues! Holy chit! I couldn't seal the gate. What's worse, that location was sure to open again. Damage done, I decided to beeline for the Police Sation with my two gate tokens. I had six open gates, and my outskirts were starting to overfill frequently. It woundn't be long before I was overrun, and the Chithonian had sucked me down to two stamina. I wasn't going to spend the game fighting and the cop car might mean the difference between winning and losing. I drove the squaddie over to the Curisities Shop to spend my dough before it shut down (which it did next turn) hoping for an elder sign, but no dice.. er, I mean card

At this point, I was in great shape. the Science Building had never opened a gate and had three clues sitting on it. I grabbed them and two other clues I had gotten trough an encounter and beelined back to the Witchhouse to finish it off once and for all. Sealed the gate in time for a fresh one to open at the lodge, keeping me at six gates and the terror track rising rapidly. Two turns later, all hell broke loose and I had ten monsters in the town.

That's right. Points for Quik_Fix getting the squad car arrrh Who's the man? Yes, yes I am.

The Unvisited Isle was pouring out monsters, and I had just gotten the reshuffle mythos card, so I decided that was next on my list. I gathered clues at Independance Square (see how it all works out? I got two clues where I had sealed that baby off) and the roadhouse again, then ran back to the Witchhouse to use my gate token for two more clues. I had a string of really lucky draws, with no monsters appearing for three, count em THREE turns, but my luck ran out right after I sealed the Isle. By now the town was literally crawling/flying/creeping with monsters, none of which were my concern because I had my Maserati (I'd like to think it was.. me and Tubbs cruisin' thru... sorry). I hauled as to the cave to get a clue, and by now two more clues were on the Science Building... the "Clue Token Dispenser" tmas I will call it from now on. I took those two, then turned in my gate token again for two more...

This is it! I have five clue chits, five sealed gates, 19 monsters on the board, and the doom count is at 9 out of 11. All I have to do is pray to the right God. I drew the Mythos card.

Gate opens at the Clue Token Dispenser!
"The Stars Are Right" The card read:
"Game screws you at last minute with impossible situation."
Okay.
It actually said that every turn I had to roll a die, and if I got a 1 or 2, the doom track would go up one!

So Let's review. One second before pulling this card, I'm on the way to victory. Suddenly, I'm sucked through a gate, delayed in Another Dimension, I have ONE Stamina, the Doom Track goes up to 10, and guess what I rolled on my next turn?

It was a great game. I loved it to death. Literally.
You guys were right about Mandy. She a great chick. Nice...um, assets too.goo Her reroll ability really saved the day over and over. I never fought more than one monster the whole time. And as for solo play, that cop car is just fantastic. I was able to almost completely ignore all the hordes wandering around town. Man, I bet they were bored.

I'm still going to win solo with one investigator, just not tonight. I'm exhausted... and I still have to clean the table off.wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
cheshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great report!goo
I often get hit with the monster overrun when going solo. I think my favourite first turn mythos card has to be the experiment going haywire down at Miskatonic, try getting all those bad boys killed off, with just one character!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Olivares
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed reading the report; you literally made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Thanks for the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.