Popular Tags: [View All]
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had almost forgotten about Crokinole until I registered for BoardGameGeek last month. Reading GeekLists, I came across a 'dexterity' list... I want to take you and me down memory lane.

My grandparents would take my sister and I out for dinner once every couple of months. We always got to choose the restaurant, which would typically be McDonald's or A&W. My grandparents were very slow eaters, so I had plenty of time during the meal to think about Crokinole, the game we always played after dinner. They say that you have to picture the perfect shot before you can execute it.

My sister and I snatched a couple of ketchup packets on the way out of the restaurant to put under each rear tire. Grandma pulled out and drove away with us looking out the back window at the bloody scene we left on the asphalt. Back at Grandma and Grandpa's house, Grandma prepared some ice cream with chocolate syrup while Grandpa brought out the Crokinole board. The last time we played, Grandpa said, "My fingers aren't working so well anymore. I don't know how well I can shoot." True, his shots weren't that good, so he switched to south-paw to the same effect. But, we kept playing. Grandma, as always, observed that if your shot hits hard onto a peg it'll hurt your finger; if you hit a nice shot, your finger never gets hurt. It really makes no sense, but seemed to always hold true.

I don't remember who won this game or any other, but it was always fun to spend time with our grandparents. Crokinole will always hold a special place in my heart.

A new game finding quest has since begun. I don't want to lose this memory. Maybe I'll finally pick up woodworking and make my own board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As it turns out, my Grandmother gave me that board earlier this year. Absolutely priceless - easily my most prized game. It has my grandpa's name carved into it. I suspect that the game is over 50 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic. While never playing Crokinole with my grandfather, he did make lots of different wooden dexterity games. My fondest memories of him were from the countless hours he spent playing with me as a small child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.