Subject: The war of the Worlds - a Visitor from Stanford rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Galluzzo
United States
Coral springs
Florida
flag msg tools
Yesterday, at our Thursday gaming club at school, we prepared to play a club favorite, TI3, with a visitor from out of school. Our Clubs Supervisor, Mr. Miller, Invited his former student who now studies at Stanford, Also the president of the Stanford Game Club. It promised to be a great game, and it turned out to be just that. After we took our random Position and races, I ended up with the Mentak, one of my favorites for its offensive capabilities. After the game started, I chose the political strategy, as I was the last to choose. I quickly took over planets
With plenty of resource, and chose the ones with the most resources. Then from the player to my right, I got an offer of alliance. If he had played this game before, he would know that my alliances are always broken as soon as it is advantageous.

When it was my time to play my strategy, I received the ....well I forgot the exact name, but it gave me 10 additional votes for a single Topic. Well, as I chose political, a topic came up which would make it more difficult for my invasions, so as 6 votes around the table came up for it, I made a dramatic move of destroying the vote with my 11 votes. Now once the whole table had passed, and the second round had come up, I took initiative for the Speaker position next round, and the ability to choose secondary abilities for free (Which was VERY helpful). Now, for my Neighbors first turn, he moved a large fleet onto planets on our natural border. I got worried yet I came up with a plan. As the 8th player chose to play imperial, giving me the ability to immediately build 2 Dreads and 2 Destroyers, ready to move them out next turn. With that, I moved my now sizeable fleet into the border sector, scaring off any chance for an early invasion. On the opposite side of the board, a 3 way war commenced, as one play for an invasion of a sector, led to blood in the water, causing his neighbor to strike at opportunity. My former attacker, blocked by my deadly fleet, instead opted to go thru the nearby Wormhole to take opportunity to participate in the war, building a Star Dock on the planet in the sector of the Wormhole.

Now, the 3rd turn was close to occur, we were about to choose strategies, when we saw the clock was showing 6:00pm, heralding the end of game club. The 4 way war ended, my plan to destroy my ally was stopped, and the two players who chose Imperial won from their 2 VP. It’s too bad we had to end it, as it would have turned into all out war.

So, as a first session report, how was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems fine to me. Just wish it could have been a longer game!
To me, the story is what's important, and you captured that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reese
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
8th player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report, I'm just currious why you picked TI to play with so little time?

That would bug me to just be getting into the meat of the game and be out of time.

Edit - typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.