Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Last night, I got to play a three-person game of Ystari Games' Ys. Boardsandbits.com has a Ys game for sale I am considering so it was a great chance to evaluate it before making the purchase. Ys involves area-influence and jewel building. Turn order is determined each round by a bit of blind bidding and then area control precedes. Depending on plurality of each region, players accrue jewels, special character cards, points, and influence on the value of the jewels at the end of the game. This is one of those games where it's best to go last.

It turns out that the version on boardsandbits.com is the import version and not the new 2nd edition release. It's hard to say what will be the better release. I like the jewels in the first edition. According to Ystari the new edition will have wood cubes instead of the jewels. I saw an image on boardgamegeeek.com where someone used glass stones instead of the original little ceramic jewels. If I ever pick up the 2nd edition of Ys, I'll definitely have to do that. I'm not crazy about the little wooden cubes to represent the jewels. Another advantage of the 2nd edition is that it adds variants (downloadable from the website) to scale the game down to two players and up to five players. I prefer games that can scale to two because I play a lot of two-person games with my wife and 5 is more flexible than 4 for games.

After two tiebreakers, Mark and I wound up tied for first. We had the same amount of points and the tiebreaker was the person with the most jewels would win. We both had 24. I found the game interesting and I'll play again. I'll hold off till the online stores I shop have the 2nd edition and then maybe I'll give it a go after seeing it's price. Ystari should see a boost in this game because Caylus is doing so well for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should want it! I truly, truly believe it is one of the greatest games released over the past 5 years. Honestly, the game has little fault.
Those that dislike the black gem situation (the only real complaint I have heard/read) don't sway me at all. The game is perfect the way it is...imho, of course!
J!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Artoos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's certainly not perfect - aside from the black gem/port area issue, the palace area special cards are too fiddly and the tiebreaker mechanism makes it even better to go last, which is already a formidable advantage. But it's exceedingly simple to explain (aside from the aforementioned special cards) and usually plays nice and fast while still being tactically interesting. As a light to mid weight, it's a pretty good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.