Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this search is one that is already available, but it is one that I - and perhaps others - would find useful.

The basic idea is to add a check box to the "Your Wants" column for "Match Any Game" - i.e. any game available for trade, whether it is on your Wants list or not.

How would this be useful? While the existing search is great for matching known trade wants and haves, sometimes you just want to see if there is *any* game that someone is willing to swap for the game you have. It might be a game you have never heard of - but on seeing that someone is willing to trade it for one of your games, you might check it out and think it worthwhile.

This can be done, after a fashion, by using the "Games Wanted By Other Users" function, but this doesn't allow you to filter by country, which the custom search does. Unfortunately, it also returns far too many users who have games listed as wanted, but nothing listed to trade in return.

So using this function I could search for anyone who wants any of the games on my Trade list (or a selection from that) and who has something (anything) to trade in return - in the countries I select.

-------------------

If this sounds too complicated, almost the same functionality could be achieved by adding a MyGeek configurable filter of countries one is willing to trade/marketplace with - to be used as a global filter across any of the existing searches.

This is probably not so obvious to the majority of BGG users, in the States or Canada, but it can be quite dispiriting for UK (and EU) users to go through 10 pages of matches from a search, only to find that most (or all) of them are in the North America and not economically viable to trade, due to postage costs.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this might be a neat idea and I would certainly use it I doubt that it is practical. All you would end up doing would be to generate a huge list! If I wanted a game you had up for trade then you would get a list of all 30 or so games I have up for trade. And you would do this for every person. It's probably easier to just generate the list of direct matches and then once you identify those you might be willing to trade with just click on their games for trade list and go through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
All you would end up doing would be to generate a huge list! If I wanted a game you had up for trade then you would get a list of all 30 or so games I have up for trade. And you would do this for every person.

Hey, that sounds GREAT. I'd love that.

I also note that I wouldn't get a list of all the people who want my games who have zilch, zip and zero available for trade.

It's actually very practical, as it's a simple iteration query, and doesn't strain the Geek database server much at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
While this might be a neat idea and I would certainly use it I doubt that it is practical. All you would end up doing would be to generate a huge list! If I wanted a game you had up for trade then you would get a list of all 30 or so games I have up for trade. And you would do this for every person. It's probably easier to just generate the list of direct matches and then once you identify those you might be willing to trade with just click on their games for trade list and go through them.

I understand what you are saying about "huge list" and this is perhaps why the idea hasn't been considered before. But please note that I am in the UK, not the US.

The experience of UK (and possibly EU) users is a lot different from US/Canada users. Unless it is an incredibly rare and desirable item (or very small and light), trading between the UK and the US/Canada simply is not economic. I have had a number of Americans propose trades with me, then withdraw when they realised where I lived and what th postage costs would be.

Trading with other EU countries is cheaper, but only if the game is fairly language independent (or if you are lucky to find someone with an English edition). Which means most of my trading is with other UK users

It is rare for me that a direct match list generates any hits at all for the UK. Because of this, I don't think the search I suggested would ever return a huge list for UK users - I think it would actually return something useful, which in turn would encourage more UK users to trade.

To illustrate the problem, I have just done a "Games Wanted By Other Users" search. Currently, for me, this returns 28 pages, containing 677 items, mostly from the US/Canada. Manually examining the first 6 pages, or 150 items, I found only 6 UK users wanting my Trade games - none of whom actually had anything to trade in return.

Most of the trades I have made/proposed have been found via the Custom Search, which goes a long way to solving my requirement, but with the following problems:

1) Since the geek allows not only the Union Jack (British flag), but also flags for England, Scotland and Wales, it is no longer suffient to use "Search my Country Only". You have to go through each time and check "United Kingdom", "England", "Scotland" and "Wales" (there is no separate setting for "Northern Ireland"). This wouldn't be so bad if the selection persisted, but you need to do for each and every search.

2) Because the number of UK users actively trading is lower, the chance of a direct match is far lower (see above) which is why I was looking for a more fuzzy search.

The only alternative that is within my grasp is to add to my own Wants list - changing it from a modest list of games I actively want to a enormous list of everything that I might ever consider trading for. I'm not at all sure if this would be a good thing - either from the point of view of having to go through and select hundreds of games, or regarding what it would do to the searches if everybody did this.

Which brings me back to the suggestion. Either the ability to open up the Custom list to "I will accept any game"; or the ability to limit the existing searches to specific countries - hopefully permanently configured for each user.

If we could also (optionally) filter any search so it only returned users who had something to trade in return, I would be ecstatic.

Please note that this (and my previous comment) is not a complaint, it *is* just a suggestion. I've gone into detail simply because I doubt that the issues are anything that any of you in the US might have considered - I certainly wouldn't have, if I had dozens of willing traders on my doorstep!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.