Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding the GG Auctions:

I placed a bid of 86 GG for Taj Mahal White Palaces auctioned by Bobby Warren (Bobby4th).

I am outbid by E.R. Burgess (Sheylon) but his profile shows that he has only 23 GG available.

Am i missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
That does seem odd. Maybe he has a source or two who will be giving him the GG? At least I hope he does...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
That does seem odd. Maybe he has a source or two who will be giving him the GG? At least I hope he does...

Can you bid above your maximum available GG? It seems strange if you can...

Anyway if he hasn't the GG to pay you, i can buy them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno. I guess there is no check in place that wouldn't allow it, ir he wouldn't have been able to do it. Let's see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Is that why famous Bad Trader Joe Krow has a negative GeekGold balance?

EDIT: Nope, I just went and looked. He bought an avatar and badge and that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can bid more than you have, but you can't pay more than you have. I once overbid on something and had to ask the seller to wait a couple of days for one of my auctions to close. (It was pretty embarassing overall...)

It would be nice to see your balance on the "Place Bid" screen, but it's something people need to be wary of. (It's a good itea to always double-check your profile before you bid.)

Hopefully, he worked out an arrangement with the seller in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Weadock
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mb
The other possibility I've wondered about, also:

If I have a 50GG balance, and I bid 40GG on 2 concurrent auctions, if I win the first one at 40GG, I'm now going to be way negative if I also win the 2nd at 40GG.

I gather from the comments above that there is no way to prevent this other than each user self-policing his current bid maximums?

Edit: My apologies for what seems like a thread hijack, but I'd been thinking about this situation for a couple of days (since I just recently had bit on 2 simultaneous auctions, but only won one), and it occurred to me that this might be the case here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

It's a valid question. I suspect you will just have to police yourself. On eBay, how can they police it to prevent you from bidding more than you can afford on an item?

I suppose it could be coded into the system, but what would you do about a circumstance should people who have agreed to pool GG if someone won an auction? How would that be handled? It seems like it would become an administrative mess for Aldie. I'm all for expecting people to act responsibly and working around the few occasions when they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a message from Eric and he is getting the balance of the GG from a friend, so it is as I suspected. Sorry, Geo, they won't be your's.

I do wish I had a second set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Sorry, Geo, they won't be your's.

cry

Never mind... the White Palaces aren't of much use anyway, are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had this discussion before and I really think the issue is whether the bidder can pay or not in a timely manner, not whether they have the GG currently showing in their account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.