Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Teemer
United States
Prosper
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be considered a "newbie" to the gaming world. I love games and I am becoming obsessed with wanting more games and playing more games. My wife thinks I am crazy. I wanted to spend some Christmas money to buy a new game and she said "What...another game?"

Anyway, I am wanting to expand my gaming collection. Currently it is not terrible expansive. I am looking for some good games to expand into...and also games that I could involve my wife in. My current collection is:

Acquire
Carcassone
Carcassone: Hunter & Gatherers
Power Grid
Settlers of Catan

I currently would like to purchase:

Ticket to Ride
Railroad Tycoon
Stuggle of Empires
Euphrat & Tigris

What suggestions for additional games would you throw out there? Games that I could involce my wife in? Thought on my "like to purchase" list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like and can handle the complexity of power grid I would recomend Age of Steam over Railroad Tycoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/playstats.php3?action=docustomquery...

Ticket to Ride -
great lighter game

Railroad Tycoon -
a heavier game
I haven't played this but have played Age of Steam, which is similar - good game

Stuggle of Empires - haven't played

Euphrat & Tigris -
excellent heavier game
fairly abstract
reminds me a little of chess
not the best 2-player game maybe

Also check out these fairly light weight games:

Alhambra
Saint Petersburg
San Juan
Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the coney. Get Age of Steam over Railroad Tycoon...especially with the current board problems of Railroad Tycoon.

Plus, with the available AoS expansions, this game is very replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What things do you like about each of your games? What things does your wife like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the camp suggesting that you should get Age of Steam over Railroad Tycoon.

Euphrat & Tigris is a great game.

Ticket to Ride is brain dead.

If you could include what you like about those games you've played and how many players you might have playing, then making suggestions beyond those you've listed would be easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Teemer
United States
Prosper
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like about these games:

Acquire - strategy (even with luck factor of tile drawing); enjoy playing with family game nights; economic aspect;

Carcassone - like the tile laying, makes each game a little different; wife likes this game; like that great 2 player game;

Carcassone: Hunter & Gatherers - same as Carcassone

Power Grid - strategy; economic aspect; depth

Settlers of Catan - different layout each time it is played; good game with family

I hope this helps in what my wife and I like about each of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Search Geeklist titles for the word 'newbie':

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=search&sea...

There are many such lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll like Railroad Tycoon although it runs pretty long.

Struggle of Empires also lasts a long time, has about 40 choices to make every turn, and has constant conflict.

Tigris & Euphrates seems like a good match for you but I should warn it also has constant conflict.

It's hard to tell if you'll like Ticket To Ride. Do you like traditional card games like Gin Rummy?

Since you like economic games, I recommend Amun-Re, San Juan, and Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Search Geeklist titles for the word 'newbie':

or 'gateway':

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=search&sea...

here's a good one:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kreba
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
My friend suggests Ticket to Ride - Europe over the regular Ticket to Ride.

I would suggest the following games:
1. China
2. Ra
3. Puertro Rico
4. Samurai

I heard that Paris Paris is pretty good for introducing people to gaming.

As for getting your wife involved, I've tried to find a common theme to the games she likes, and tried to find games like that. She really likes Egypt, so we have a number of "Egypt" themed games like Ra and Cairo that she loves to play.

You may need to try a bunch of games before you figure out what types of games your wife likes to play. But, it's worth the effort, once you find it, she'll want to play games all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Teemer
United States
Prosper
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. My want list is growing.

If I were to purchase just 2 games out of the following, which 2 would you suggest:

1) Euphrat & Tigris
2) Citadels
3) Samarai
4) Ticket to Ride - Europe
5) Through the Desert
6) Attika
7) San Juan
8) Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one game that very rarely comes up on this list, yet it is the only game my girlfriend has actually asked to play without me badgering her to play a boardgame. It's 'Top Race'. No, she doesn't like motor racing (i do), and normally she glazes over at the thought of boardgames, but her sister was over before xmas and i convinced her to play a game and my gf joined in.

Since then she has played it with one of my friends and even when my parents came down after xmas. Everyone who has played it loved it, and none of them were boardgamers. I think it is because it has a very simple mechanic, but the tactics are quite deep, personally, i love it more and more i play it, and so far, that is wuite a lot!

Mike.........

(The only other game she has liked so far is LOTR - The Confrontation, but that is partly due to her being a massive LOTR fan!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gteemer wrote:

If I were to purchase just 2 games out of the following, which 2 would you suggest:

1) Euphrat & Tigris
2) Citadels
3) Samarai
5) Through the Desert
6) Attika
7) San Juan
8) Puerto Rico

Age of Steam and Euphrat & Tigris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gteemer wrote:

1) Euphrat & Tigris
2) Citadels
3) Samarai
5) Through the Desert
6) Attika
7) San Juan
8) Puerto Rico

San Juan and Euphrat & Tigris with Through the Desert coming in at third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kreba
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone here think there is a serious problem with introducing a reluctant gamer to Euphrat & Tigris? As far as I've seen, this is a complex game with a lot of conflict and strategy.

You are best to start off with lighter titles to start and work your way up. Even PR is too heavy. While I think that Ticket to Ride could be too light, if you are a gamer. You are better off getting Light to Medium based games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennis_kreba wrote:
Does anyone here think there is a serious problem with introducing a reluctant gamer to Euphrat & Tigris? As far as I've seen, this is a complex game with a lot of conflict and strategy.

While the strategy is complex and there is a lot of conflict, it's a simple game to learn for anyone who has played games before. I've taught it to lots of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil v
United States
Richmond (North of Berkeley)
California
flag msg tools
gteemer wrote:

1) Euphrat & Tigris
2) Citadels
3) Samarai
5) Through the Desert
6) Attika
7) San Juan
8) Puerto Rico

E&T
Puerto Rico (Maybe a little heavy right now, but you're going to get it someday....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennis_kreba wrote:

You are best to start off with lighter titles to start and work your way up. Even PR is too heavy. While I think that Ticket to Ride could be too light, if you are a gamer. You are better off getting Light to Medium based games.

I've had the best luck with Power Grid, Santiago, Meuterer and Ra as introductory games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gteemer wrote:

1) Euphrat & Tigris
2) Citadels
3) Samarai
5) Through the Desert
6) Attika
7) San Juan
8) Puerto Rico

I haven't played Samurai, but it involves tiles, so it might be a nice step from Carcassonne.

Through the Desert is like Go with pretty pastel camels!

Or rather than listen to us geeks, ask your wife which game she would be most receptive to trying with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kreba
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Samurai does not involve tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gteemer wrote:

1) Euphrat & Tigris
2) Citadels
3) Samarai
5) Through the Desert
6) Attika
7) San Juan
8) Puerto Rico

1. San Juan
Plays well with 2+, shorter and less brain burning than Puerto Rico.
But - If you want longer, deeper then go with Puerto Rico. There is a 2 player variant here on BGG that works. Puerto Rico is heavier than Power Grid, I would say.

2. One of the following, depending on which sounds best to you. These are heavier than Carcassonne but lighter than Power Grid:

Samarai - a little more abstract and mathematical, beautiful components, one of my favorites. Definitely strategic.

Through the Desert - also fairly abstract, but doesn't play that well with 2, I think (never tried it)

Regarding your list:

Attika plays well with 2+ but is fairly cutthroat. It's OK but not my favorite personally.

Citadels is very cutthroat. My wife hated it.

Ticket to Ride: Europe is a little more complicated and strategic than regular Ticket to Ride.
If you want another fairly light game you can play with non-gamers, and convert them to gamers, get plain Ticket to Ride. But both TTR games have a fair amount of luck, so you may not win even if you play the best. But they are great light games, and there is a lot of tension that keeps it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gteemer wrote:

1) Euphrat & Tigris
2) Citadels
3) Samarai
5) Through the Desert
6) Attika
7) San Juan
8) Puerto Rico

I am going through the same thing with my wife, and am beginning to make some headway after she went to one of our board game club nights (kicking and screaming) and she played House on Haunted Hill. Since then she has started going more often and playing at home/with my parents, and I have since expanded my collection. She also enjoys Carcassonne and a couple of older war games I have.

On your list, she enjoys playing Puerto Rico and Ticket to Ride - Europe, though she has not attempted any of the others. SO I would suggest those two.

Good luck getting up her enthusiasm.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.