Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Coloretto with 2 friends for the first time last night. After a couple of rounds we decided that it would be more interesting if we played all collected cards face down where even the owner of the cards could not look at his own cards. We also introduced the last suit into the game with only 3 players. The last round card was also randomly placed somewhere between the 9th-to-last card and halfway through the deck.

All of these changes, particularly the face down one, made the game a little more difficult and lot more fun for everyone involved. Some players tried to place their cards in face down stacks, and just remember which stack was what. Another player just put everything in one stack and tried to keep a tally in their head.

Obviously this wouldn't work with groups where people can easily track lots of information in their head, but this variant made the game more fun for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a neat experiment with mechanics. I can see why this might be a 'fun' diversion once or twice but my initial reaction is that I wouldn't want to play the game on a regular basis like that. In my opinion, it would turn the game into a dry memory game going to the player who has the best memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key for us to not making it a dry memory game was to play it at 5 o'clock in the morning after staying up all night playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stavros Kontovas
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi, Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game and the first couple of games we played, we kept our own cards face-down, hidden from the oponnents , but anytime we could look at our own cards. I think it is a very interesting twist to the basic game. Well, once i re-read the rules i noticed the "you-play-your-cards-face-up" thingie and we keep playing using official rules since. I think after a few plays we will revisit the face-down/look your own cards variant. Try it !cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.