6 Posts

Axis & Allies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Submarines combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blind Watcher
Italy
flag msg tools
Submarines can't open fire on air units. But, if an air unit attacks a submarine, can the submarine defend itself? Moreover, during normal combat phase, can the submarine hit air units as an attacker?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A submarine can never hit an airplane. If enemy airplanes fail to kill it in the first round of combat, the submarine can then just submerge and it will no longer be a viable target for the airplanes (assuming there is no enemy destroyer present to negate this submarine ability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris' interpretation is dead-on accurate.

When a sub is attacked from air only, it may not strike back. It may only pray to be missed and then submerge to escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blind Watcher
Italy
flag msg tools
thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I thought submarines fire first in combat as part of their special abilities...meaning it's useless to attack them with airplanes, since they'll retreat before you get the chance to roll any die...am I being wrong about something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought submarines fire first in combat as part of their special abilities...meaning it's useless to attack them with airplanes, since they'll retreat before you get the chance to roll any die...am I being wrong about something?

Great question! Yes, IF submarines are the only unit type in an attacking force, they DO fire first (the "first strike" capability). However, it's ONLY against enemy ships, not planes. In lieu of that attack, they cannot instead move or submerge. It's an attack-only first strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.