Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed today that spielbyweb (www.spielbyweb.com) where I play Amun-Re (Knizia), Reef Encounter (Breese) and Wallenstein (Henn) online (yes, isn't that cool!!) is apparently now testing Santiago, Tikal and La Citta and has plans to add Caylus and El Grande (Kramer/Ulrich) down the road!! Wow, this is great news that I just had to share. BSW is also rumoured to be adding Caylus soon.

In case you didn't know you can also play Hoity-Toity by Klaus Teuber and Bus an older Splotter game as well on spielbyweb....come on over and join the fun....contact me if you'd like to start a game and I'll join you happily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I tried to register for spiel-by-web once. I used my standard ID and password so I wouldn't forget them. But I never got any email and I can't log in with the ID and password I used. I tried to reregister but it says my email address is already registered. Hmmm, I gave up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
nishikawa-collector wrote:
BSW is also rumoured to be adding Caylus soon.

soon? I've already burned out on Caylus at BSW. It came online earlier this week.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've played Caylus online in real-time, I can't imagine playing it on SbW. Even with several "actions" per day, it will take months to play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of my message was more Santiago, Tikal and El Grande....you guys all have CAYLUS ON THE BRAIN....yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an online or BPEM gamer, but for some Santiago, I'd change my ways!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not very familiar with SbW but I do enjoy Santiago in meatspace. How does the SbW system cope with the level of negotiation required for Santiago? Does it provide a mechanism to communicate with a player such that all other players are privy to the conversation? Or does it just rely on email and therefore trust?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:
I'm not very familiar with SbW but I do enjoy Santiago in meatspace. How does the SbW system cope with the level of negotiation required for Santiago? Does it provide a mechanism to communicate with a player such that all other players are privy to the conversation? Or does it just rely on email and therefore trust?

There's an in-game message system, but it requires users to log in to check it, and in my experience you're lucky to get one message each way in a conversation per turn. Most players ignore it. It is open to all players.

The only way to send email to another player is to ask them to give you their email address through the in-game message system. Again, most players ignore requests for their email addresses.

Thus, effectively, there isn't much communication at all in SbW games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Thus, effectively, there isn't much communication at all in SbW games.

Hmmm, that would make Santiago... well... different...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Games they have do not really need communication..Santiago is still in testing so I'm not sure how the system described will work, but if you play it with the right people I'm sure it will be just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Sheikh
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've activated Marshall's account -- if anyone else has problems with registration (i.e. not getting the "click to activate" email), drop me a message).

Re: the Santiago issue, I guess I can modifiy things to send out an email whenever a new message is posted. Will conduct a poll at SpielByWeb to see if that should be done for all games, only some games, or make it configurable by user or user/game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
milksheikh wrote:
I've activated Marshall's account -- if anyone else has problems with registration (i.e. not getting the "click to activate" email), drop me a message).

Thank you, I'm already in my first game of Amun-Re. The interface is fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Amun Re on SBW quite a bit lately with some old college buddies and we've all been enjoying it quite a bit. The important thing is we do a lot of moves a day. I have another game of Amun Re I started with some strangers on the site and after 2 months it's STILL not done. Half the challenge is getting players that actually want to make more then one move a week. I wish they had an option to just kill games there so I wouldn't have to deal with the long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wahl
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only bad thing about Spielbyweb is that sometimes you get into a series of games with someone that plays waaaay too well and you get your ass kicked repeatedly. This can (and occassionally does) lead to a reduced sense of self worth which can be the start of a downward spiral into a self-made hell consisting of week long binges of eating nothing but hard candy shell coated carob covered peanuts (read: healthy peanut m&m's) and drinking lots of cheap red wine.

But that's not me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. The Amun Re interface is really good. I think I will definitely be checking out some of the new offerings.

I greatly prefer playing by web or email for games I am not playing in person! That is one reaosn BSW never really caught on for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.