Subject: Warmachine or Confrontation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Blodgett
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi all, I have been lurking aroung for a while, and have been out of gaming for a number of years, and my background is mostly D&D RPG. I have been collecting a minis from a bunch of different game systems of the past few years. I mostly just like the painting hobby, but I am now looking for a game system that I can hopefully get in to and play outside my house, or with my wife at home. I have an almost completed starter group from Warmachine that I was planning on taking to an open beginner's tournament at one of the local gaming stores. I also own a group of Dirz figs from Confrontation that are still as yet unpainted. I have been reading the reviews on both games and it seems like Confrontation and Hybrid have some difficult to learn rules. I have read through the rules for Warmachine, and they seem really straightforward and easy to use. I don't know of any local people playing Confrontation, but I really don't get out to the stores that much. The only reason I know of any local happenings if through the store websites. So I guess what I'm looking for is opinions. Do I hold on to the Confrontation figs (Most are compatable with Hybrid), or Ebay them, and use the $$ to buy another Warmachine starter? Thanks for your input!

SubG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My opinion and experience is that Warmachine is a much more accessible and intuitive game. For example:

In Warmachine the cards describe all of the abilities fairly clearly, and clearly label everything you need to know about the figure. The cards in Confrontation use a bunch of cryptic symbols and one-word names of the abilities that need to be referenced in the book.

In Warmachine damage is marked off using check boxes. In Confrontation damage is color coded and uses slightly less cryptic but still annoying symbols.

In Warmachine there are four fairly well-developed and interesting factions, plus a fairly diverse selection of mercenaries. In Confrontation there are a dozen different factions that are somewhat poorly described. For a new player it can be difficult even figuring out what figures belong to which faction. For example, it's not terribly obvious at first that "Scorpion" troops and "Dirz" troops belong to the same faction.

All in all, you'll probably be happy with either one if you stick with it, but I find that I prefer Warmachine considerably. In my town a lot of people play both games, and for a long time Confrontation was the more popular of the two. Recently though people have gotten pretty burned out on Confrontation and started moving over to Warmachine as their main game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bradley,

Personally, I'd go with Confrontation (and I have...I made the call on the same thing a few months ago and traded all my Warmachine stuff), but what really matters (IMHO) is if you're going to play, who is there to play against? If Warmachine is well supported in your local game shop and Confrontation isn't (or vice versa), go that route because you'll be more satisfied with the game if you keep on playing than if you play once or twice and interest dies out.

I believe WM is done from a US company, and, by and large, what I've seen is the support is better for that it in the US. Your local shop may differ, but that's what I've seen.

As for the Confrontation rules, the little booklets in the blisters were a cool idea, but since the native language was French, the translation was lacking in some places. Conceptually, I thought it was quite cool, but in execution it was so-so. If you get serious about Confrontation, I'd say go with the 3rd edition rules (hardback), it'll put you back about $30-35, or look at one of the Confrontation starter sets (one is a starter, the other an "initiation set"...probably includes a hazing). If you're considering playing Hybrid, I'd keep the figs. I've got 2 copies of Hybrid, Nemesis, a few Cry Havocs (1-4) and a ton of extra mini's for a monster game (Hybrid Rules, though, are poorly translated).

Anyway, there's my two cents. Good Luck!

jp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Trevor's comments. The 3rd edition rules clarify a lot, with tons of examples and pictures.

I think the root of both answers is find a group that plays regularly, you like, and get into it. Once you get the rules down for either, you should be set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
There are good arguments for both systems. I personally LOVE the Confrontation figs, & I prefer the Warmachine rules.

Watch out for local system support: In Germany, Confrontation seems to die - for some people a reason not to start with, for other people a good argument for buying all the figs to discount prices.

I offer a very subjective, subtle argument for your decision: When I watch a group playing Warmachine, they're talking about attacks, strategies etc. When I watch a group playing Warmachine, I hear them calculating most of the time...

Both games are fun, you can't go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play both, and see which YOU like better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good skirmish games. Confrontation is more complex, has more rules, and is less intuitive at first glance.
Warmachine is easier to teach as well. I do prefer Confrontation though, because it is more of a traditional fantasy minis game. Warmachine is almost a blend of future and fantasy with the steam powered beings under your warcaster's control. Confrontation has an incredibly beautiful hardbound rules book with full colour pictures throughout.
Not as many people play Confrontation in my parts however.
I own both, but I suspect that I will enjoy Hordes the best.
Hordes is made by Privateer Press, the same company that does Warmachine. In fact the two are compatible in many ways, but there are some key differences. This game is due out in April with a line up of four factions and many others models on the way. It is more of a traditional fantasy setting. You can play a Hordes faction agaisnt a Warmachine faction.

If I were you, I'd wait for Hordes. Check your FLGS and see if they have leagues and tournaments in the other games though. That may sway your decsion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Quote:
I offer a very subjective, subtle argument for your decision: When I watch a group playing Warmachine, they're talking about attacks, strategies etc. When I watch a group playing Warmachine, I hear them calculating most of the time...

I'm assuming the second one was supposed to be Confrontation.

I agree with the others that the 3rd Edition Confrontation rules dramatically streamline and improve the game. The newer rules are much more lethal (which makes things go faster) and simpler (getting rid of setting your target number and other nonsense that didn't add much to the game). All of the issues I had in my first post still stand with 3rd ed, however.

All in all, it's a matter of taste, I s'pose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Blodgett
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
I knew I came to the right place. You gus are great!

woodoo03 wrote:
There are good arguments for both systems. I personally LOVE the Confrontation figs, & I prefer the Warmachine rules.

That whas what attracted me in the first place. I haven't seen nicer figs on any other game.
That is another reason that I am hesitant to part with them.

Palpatine wrote:

If I were you, I'd wait for Hordes. Check your FLGS and see if they have leagues and tournaments in the other games though. That may sway your decsion.

I was poking around Privateer's website the other day looking for the quickstart rules for Warmachine, and stumbled upon
the pre-release stuff for Hordes. I downloaded the PDFs and printed them on the color laser at work (A perk of being an IT
professional, access to all the equipment.) I hope to try a dry run of it with some stand-in figs to see how it plays.
Of course, the figs are most of the fun for me, and they look like they are going to be great. I hope to make it to Origins this year, and that Privateer haves a good showing of Hordes there.
In the men time. I have posted some messages on the the LGS message boards asking if anyone is playing either of these
games in on their wargames nights.

Once again thank you for your input. In the mean time, I think I will hold on the the Confrontation figs until I play in this Warmachine tournament at the end of the month. Also wait to see if anyone local is playing some form of Confrontation.
I'm also teaching my 5 year old how to play Pirates of the Spanish Main.

Thanks,
Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog wrote:
Quote:
When I watch a group playing Warmachine, they're talking about attacks, strategies etc. When I watch a group playing Warmachine, I hear them calculating most of the time...

I'm assuming the second one was supposed to be Confrontation.

Yeah, of course you're right, sorry for that. And it's true, the 3rd ed streamlined a lot, but they're still calculating - although they're faster now laugh

I think the idea of playing before deciding is a good one. I personally had a "dry run" and have high anticipation for Hordes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael King
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools

One thing that turned me off on Warmachine was the fact that once the Warcaster goes down, if you don't have a backup Warcaster, all you Jacks go down as well. To me Warmachine is all about the Jacks, and having one guy go down and losing the game I don't like.

In 2nd Ed Confrontation the whole setting targets thing turned me off on that as well. That being said I am going to be giving the 3rd Ed rules a try since the setting target was the only thing that turned me off and from some players there were other bits of streamlining done as well.

- Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Warmachine guy and have never played Confrontation. That being said, the reason I'm play Warmachine is because it's what all of my FLGS' stock. I only rarely see anything Confrontation and have never seen a group of gamers playing. Before you choose, look around at what is in stock at local stores AND which game has gamers you deem worth playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have superb miniatures, both have very popular sets of rules. I suppose one of the main factors for your choice should be what your group plays. If they only play Warmachine, then you can take a risk and try and get them into Confrontation, but a safer option would be to move to Warmachine since you will have opponents.

Saying that, I am one of those who started with both, but left Warmachine after a while because of the 'Power-Gaming' attitude that was developing.....

With the new 3rd Edition rules, Confrontation has become a much easier and better flowing game.

Another option, in case you aren't aware of it, is the Dark Age game. Again, lovely figures and the new rulebook brings along a great set of rules.

Its worth having a look:

http://www.dark-age.com

Whatever you choose, have fun!!!

Regards,

Shinobi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.