Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd Mission

Four days later we were finally given a new target. The Port city of Cherbourg had a rather nasty airfield near it that needed to be attacked.

As we got our orders, we again found ourselves in the middle of the pack but this time we at the bottom of the formation. "Not a good place if you are attacking an airfield", the Ball Turret gunner Dave Naney exclaimed.

Again we lifted off and joined our bomber squadron on our way to do our daily work. The approach to the target was uneventful, but as we neared the airfield the weather turned poor again. “Maybe well get no fighters again”, Tim Blair whispered into the intercom.

But that was not the case.

As we neared the airfield we could see the waves of German aircraft heading towards us and our formation. “Man the Guns. Man the Guns…” it was like a mantra in each of our heads.

Our covering fighters managed to chase off one FW-190 before three more came in at all angles. We had a bogey at 9:00 high, one at 10:30 level and 3:00 low. The intercom was bursting with chatter as our guns started their own burst.

Both the top turret and port waist gunner opened up on the FW-190 at 9:00. With the top turret spewing the lead the FW tried to maneuver out of the way. But then Tim Blair opens up on his Port Gun and the bullets rip into the FW, ripping the left wing off. The fighter goes down out of control.
Tim yells “I got one! I got one!”, Tim Mulligan from the other side says “great kid, don’t get cocky!”.

Just then the FW at 3:00 low races in. Both Tim Mulligan, from his starboard gun, and the ball gunner, Dave Naney, open up. Neither of them scores a hit and the FW races in guns blazing, but misses the target. He’s off for a new target.

The FW at 10:30 level is given a burst from the navigator in the cheek gun but misses. He then opens up and hits the Iron Maiden. A long burst rips into the right wing as he passes by. Stunned the Co Pilot Dan Griffin looks out the window to see the damage.
“All engines are working Captain. She’s hit good, but she’s holding together”. He shouts!
“She’ll hold together”, Mike Bell says. Then he mutters, “come on baby, hold together”.
The tail gunner takes a passing shot but misses him also.

“He’s coming around” Fadi yells from the tail gun.

The FW rolls around gets in front for a 10:30 level pass. “He’s going for the other wing” yells Dan Griffin the Co-Pilot. There is a lot of gun fire, but neither of the planes is stuck. Fadi takes one more shot from the rear turret then the fighter breaks for another bomber.

“Good job lads” the navigator Ron Chavez calls out. Just then he hears over the intercom. Her they come again. As the brave crew of the Iron Maiden braces for another attack of two Bf-110’s, friendly P-51s race in and engage the German aircraft. Quickly they are gone and the crew relaxes.

Just as quickly the bombardier, Ron Duke, yells out “target dead ahead”. He lines the Iron Maiden up for her bombing run with poor weather hampering his bomb sights.

“I guess with all that air cover they have no AA”. Duke commented. The flak was so light it was barely noticeable. The air field was defended by mostly small caliber stuff… for a change.

Even in poor weather, Ron Duke dropped their payload and turned the aircraft to head for home. The bombs hit mainly around the outskirts of the airfield, but 30% hit their mark.

Again, more aircraft attempt to reach the bomber group to make the Americans pay, but yet again the Allied fighters break up the attempt. The crew loves these guys.

As the crew heads back over the channel the Ball Gunner, Dave Naney, barks out, “There still coming”. "It looks like another 3 ME-109’s". This time the fighter cover can only break up two of the incoming aircraft.

The ME-109 manages to come head on and the Nose and Top Turret open up. The engineer Steve Miller mans the top turret and scores a hit. The ME is hit hard but presses home the attack! He misses and decides he has had enough.
“One last shot” Fadi says from the rear turret. He scores a direct hit as the ME-109 flies by. It explodes into flames and falls as a heap of burning fuel and wreckage.

The whole crew cheers.

As they approach England they can see the poor weather has set in here also. Mike Bell says no problem and sets her down gently.

After a brief look at the wing, which had significant but no major damage, the crew of the Iron Maiden are glad to be back on the ground!

Mike Bell notes in his log that they have scored their first aircraft kills. One kill by Fadi Awed and one kill by Tim Blair. He’s glad to see that they are improving but worries what the future holds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts? Should I keep up the mission logs?

I really like this game and was wondering if any body reads these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brightman
United Kingdom
Bristol
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to browse the geek, looking at various articles and reports. So I can't guarentee I'll be back, but PLEASE keep up the reports so that the next random browser doesn't have to stop at three :-D

Tris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.