Subject: Lets Talk Strategy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools

I Find that I excel in tactical situations. I am comfortable achieving goals with the resources I have at-hand, and I greatly enjoy manipulating situations to create an advantageous position.

However, and this goes for both gaming and life in-general, I find I have difficulty thinking an operating on a more strategic level.

Any suggestions on how I can improve my Strategic thinking?
Any “tricks” or “hacks” you use when formulating a strategy?
Any commentary on how you've developed your "strategic mind?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, my suggestion: play lots--and when you do, TALK through the thinking with your opponents.

I play in a group of multiple people, but I've always tended to be a more strategic and defensive player. I tend to sucker in an opponent, and the counterstrike is what delivers victory.

One particular player tends to be much more tactical and aggressive in his thinking. And when we play, it's a learning experience for both of us. The games are longer, but we talk through almost every move. I explain my thoughts, my strategic plans, and he asks questions and probes my thinking. I do the same when he plots his moves. It's very insightful.

The result, over the past 6 months, is two-fold: we've both become much more 'balanced' in our wargamming. I've learned to think tactically, and he's learned to think strategically.

Additionally, we ANTICIPATE each other much more correctly now. That makes for some VERY enjoyable games when we surprise the other person. And when we're in a multiple player setting and can form an alliance, we work much better as a team together, because we know more how the other thinks...and where our respectives strengths are.

There's my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
verive wrote:
Any suggestions on how I can improve my Strategic thinking?

Three things really:

1) Figure out your optimal turn. Now assume you've made that turn and figure out what the other player's optimal move is. Then figure out your response. Do this for two or three turns. Do you like where you ended up? Change you first move and repeat until you end up somewhere you like.

2) Figure out somewhere you'd like the game state to go, some longer term goal or position you want to achieve. Now ask yourself, How can I set it up where it is the other players' best choice to have me achieve that position? If you can't see a direct route, work backwards: from the goal: What would have to be true just before you accomplished the goal? What would to be true for you to accomplish that earlier position? Lather, rinse, and repeat, working backwards until you see a path to your desired end-state. Don't forget that your opponents will be trying to make their best moves every step of the way.

3) Look at your opponents' position. Where do they have positive incentives to help you achieve or strengthen your position? Where do they have disincentives? What can you do to strengthen those incentives? How can you take advantage of those incentives while keeping the incentive for them? What can you do to change those positions with disincentives into positions where they have an incentive to help your position? How can you use this knowledge to create positions where your opponents are disinclined to help each other and have positive incentives to help you?

It takes some work, but keep sweating those three points. You'll get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.