Subject: What are some good stock market games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marquis
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
We have 3 teen boys we're trying to teach the basics of the stock market to. This is difficult since we're pretty clueless ourselves in this area.

What are the best available games out there for doing this? We're open to suggestions of good books for learning the stock market ropes, too.

Tanx a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Giro
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Acquire! End of thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Sadly Acquire is out of print, but it's pretty common and you can probably find it on ebay or trade for it.

To expound a little bit, Acquire is a classic game in which you speculate on various companies (buy stock) and then try to grow companies you have a stake in and hinder your opponents via a tile laying mechanic. During mergers, players with the most and second most stock get cash bonuses to further their cause. Note that unlike the real stock market, you can not sell your stock at any time. Selling stock is related to mergers-- in essence, you only make money when "your" company is sold to a larger company. If you want a stock market simulation, this ain't it. If you want to introduce someone to the concept of a stock market, this will do the job. There's a reason it's a classic-- it's lots of fun and still gets several plays a year around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shark is also out of print, but worth looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dividends is a fairly new game, though I haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
IN
Indiana
flag msg tools
HBGlover wrote:
Sadly Acquire is out of print, but it's pretty common and you can probably find it on ebay or trade for it.

I saw several copies at the local Wal-Mart before X-mas this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it but it's supposed to quite good:

Buy Low, Sell High
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/146

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit. It doesn't cover future derivatives but does cover commodity trading. Also if you wish to blow a couple hundred bucks you can get cashflow 201 which is hardcore stock trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
There is actually an online stock market game that uses movies and actors for stocks. It's called the Hollywood Stock Exchange. I've been playing it for the last two years as has my wife. It's a ton of fun and free.

www.hsx.com

If you actually sign up to play put in mrbeankc as a reference. I'm only $1 million ahead of my wife right now and you get a $100K bonus for getting new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tepper
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giroml wrote:
Acquire! End of thread!

Oooh, don't end it till you add Shark. It can have a more painful/realistic(?) feel when corporations are eaten up and can cause losses.

Shark gets more gameplay in my group than Acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I haven't played it but it's supposed to quite good:

Buy Low, Sell High
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/146

Not so much.

Skip this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following up with what Brian said,

I don't think any game is really gonna teach market concepts, especially if you don't know alot yourselves. If you had a good bank of knowledge, you could maybe fill in the gaps. But if your own level of knowledge is lacking...

I would suggest you do a google/yahoo search on "fantasy stock game" as there are no shortage of online fantasy stock games out there. Here is a sampling from About.com

http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/stockmarketgame/index_r....

I did something similar in the past called the ATT Investment Challenge, before the days of the internet, and it was pretty fun. You actually made all trades via phone and they would send you weekly account updates. I've also heard it rumored that people with insider trading knowledge frequent the online leagues that offer prizes.

I think if you're looking to teach/understand the market, you'll do much better with something like this than a board game.

just my .02. hth
jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Books: A random walk down wall street by Burton G. Malkiel

Games (playability fanatics, take aim): Stocks & Bonds for the basics of the stock market; Foreign Exchange for understanding of the foreign currency market.

Extra credit book: The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz. The best econ book I've read in some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Oh My Gosh. Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!

I *have* this game (Maxi Bour$e)! Brand new, never played, sitting in my closet for... 15 years?

'Course, it seems like it might be a stinker, but worth a try just to get a feel for the market.

I'm SO glad you mentioned this, Drew. It's like a NEW GAME!!

LM <

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I heard about stock market sim's online, but I thought you had to be invited or belong to an educational org.

Now I REALLY have lots of research to do.

Also, if anyone would be willing to part with Shark (nenny?) or Acquire, do let me know.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone! Gotta love the 'Geek.

LM <

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stock Market Game
Composite Index
Maxi Bourse
Stock Market Guru (is this the 3M game?)
Rollout (?)
Race to Riches (?)

Both Acquire and Shark are fun games but have very little to do with actual stock market mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good way to learn how the Stock Market works is to play it yourself, for real. You don't need to actually buy stock (but you could if you wanted to), instead you keep 'pretend' records of your 'funds' and your 'stocks'. The actual buying and selling is the easy bit - it's knowing when to trade that is important, and this is as much an experience issue as knowledge or luck.

However nothing beats the lessons you would learn if you have a genuine and large amount of money to lose...

If you are more interested in learning the actual *mechanisms* of the Stock Market (such as brokers, options, yields, how things work, etc) then no boardgame I'm aware of will teach all these things effectively. Websites, libraries, financial advisors, accountants, etc hold this sort of information, and it becomes a question of research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Särkijärvi
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxers wrote:
Books: A random walk down wall street by Burton G. Malkiel

I second this. A very good book to fit the purpose. Might be better than boardgames*, though these could help to materialize the facts.

*(I'm going to get lynched!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.