Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Hatmaker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my slightly battered opinion that the German player is best off stacking everything except the mortar and howitzer units in the TOWN. This gives them several benefits that help make up for the disparity in force.

1. The town renders them hard to find, i.e., they must be spotted for indirect fire, and for direct fire, you have to be adjacent to their hex.

2. Even infantry must be attacked as if they were armored targets on the
Weapons Effectiveness Chart, or W.E.C.

3. Attackers must add +1 to die rolls Those are three good reasons to use the town as a “force multiplier” as the German player. Lest we forget, in Panzer Leader, we want LOW die rolls, so that +1 is a curse, not a blessing!

Allied infantry can only cat (Close Assault Tactics) attack German town infantry, (because that’s the only way infantry can attack “armor”) and even then, they do so at the reduced rate... normally, a cat attack would be have a die roll modifier bonus of -2, but after you factor in the +1 penalty, it’s only a -1 bonus. I’ve neglected those little rules, but there’s more... in a town hex, all stacked units must be attacked as a
SINGLE defense strength! That rule I knew about and followed. It’s a
learning curve situation with me. The allies need to start out behind LOS
(line of sight) obstructions, at least 3 hexes away from the town. Stack your armor and other units to make use of the fact that you’re gonna be fighting in close quarters with other stacked units. The real bee-yotch for the Allied player is that he’s got to have a LOS onthe bridge to hammer the German engineers. That’s the 2nd major vulnerability of the Germans... they’ve only got one engineer unit! The best hope for the German player is to get those engineers on the detonation of that bridge in the first turn, and hope the units protected in the town can hold off the allies until turn 4. That’s a tough nut to crack. Anyway, I feel confident that with the next attempt, I’ll not experience any more rules snags, and be able to concentrate solely on trying to even up the scenario for the German player.

Even blissfully ignorant of the aforementioned rules, I was taking a much
sounder beating as the Allied player as a result of better initial German
deployment. I had just eliminated the German engineers, and heaved a sigh
of relief... it’s only a matter of time. Note that I kept my engineers loaded in half-tracks behind a treeline at the far right side of the map to protect them.

I think that the Allies best chances are to protect those engineers, hammer the Germans hard and fast, thus clearing a safe path to the bridge, then rushing up the engineers to clear the “X” obstruction off the bridge in the last third of the game. It cuts it close, but if Jerry gets your engineers, you’re screwed, blued, and tattooed. A lot depends on hitting the Germans like a trip-hammer, and ham-stringin’ ’em early on. I had a tank dispersed, and would lose even more units before the end.

Aaaargh! Two of my tanks are on fire, but my engineers are in the final
phases of removing that cursed “X” obstacle from the Remagen bridge. The
fat lady was doing her warm-ups.

I think that even with the maximum use of terrain, etc., the German player is at a distinct disadvantage. If the Germans haven’t blown that bridge by, say turn 5 or 6, then they’re not going to. The bridge must be destroyed early, and the town units must hold of the Allies for the Germans to have a prayer. If the German player gets some sweet die rolls early on, he could throw open the fridge and hand the allied player a big ol’ heapin’ helpin’ of humble pie! I’ll try one more time, and see if Jerry’s chances get any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Stone
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a solitaire session of this situation...

While protecting your engineers is wise, putting them on the front gives your armored infantry a full odds column shift in CAT attacks! Just deadly.

I'll have a AAR report shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Stone
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powwowdancer wrote:
I think that even with the maximum use of terrain, etc., the German player is at a distinct disadvantage. If the Germans haven’t blown that bridge by, say turn 5 or 6, then they’re not going to. The bridge must be destroyed early, and the town units must hold of the Allies for the Germans to have a prayer. If the German player gets some sweet die rolls early on, he could throw open the fridge and hand the allied player a big ol’ heapin’ helpin’ of humble pie! I’ll try one more time, and see if Jerry’s chances get any better.

Just finished this scenario last night. Will play again is it is a good one to exercise the rules after the "long dark."

Jeff's comments are very true (emphasis mine). My session ended as shown in four turns; I didn't play it out as the Allies victory conditions could not be met.

On a side note, I thumbed through a good book today at B&N about Remagen (a happy coincidence really): Remagen 1945 by Steven Zaloga, Peter Dennis (Illustrator), Ospery Publishing (ISBN 1846030188). Very detailed in its operational notes.

The Allies rushed in, moving from their positions out of LOS (three hexes away from Artain). The tanks flanked the town, the 20mm positioned on the hill made opfire that halted the advance of the western M10 unit. This leaves the Allies no opportunity in the first turn to attack (the infantry and engineers unloaded in that turn). Since it is not clear that the German engineer should begin off the bridge, I started them there. By the end of turn one, the allies have one M-10 burning east of the town.

Funny thing about armor attacking infantry, half attack strength. The Allies open turn two with 26-10 armor salvo on the bridge engineers. This is halved to 13-10, or 1:1! No luck on the Allies side this day. A CAT attack on the southern edge of Artain only disperses the Germans. The M10s on the west move in. Now, turn two. The Germans only need to delay, and it is in the bag.

Now turn three, Gerry's engineers are on the downhill. The Allies try again, but a 1:1 attack is just not heavy enough to hurt with a bad die roll. The German's are dispersed on the west side of town, and the engineers and infantry crush the southern defenders in a CAT, moving into the hex (a Bucey house rule). Delaying tactics for the Gerry's.

Turn four, the Allies try to move to the bridge, pressing hard. Dispersing! It's this round that just ends it. The Gerry's move off the bridge, roll a 2, bridge out. The units on the other side of the bridge of course are lost, or captured. But the Allies are denied their crossing.

Good game, and reinforces Jeffrey's observations about the situation. Luck of the die really can hand it to the Gerry's. This situation is very replayable and I will in short order.

Are there any observations about my session that stand for correction? This was my first game in many, many, years. For instance, am I correct in allowing the Allies shots at the engineers on the bridge? It is not a LOF/LOS obstruction is it? They clearly are not "spottable" with no adjacent unit and they are not bothering to fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Stone
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several plays of this scenario today... Gerry wins both times in delaying actions to turn 7. Following Jeffery's recommendation of stacking Gerry's units in the town really plays well. The 20mm on the ridge is a good position for dispersing opfire.

Generally, the the German player can get the tactical victory by playing out the turn limit... but this is never really a win. The American's just don't win by the terms of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I would check the scenario card, but memory says that the Germans can set up in the town or on the other side of graphed river, but not on the bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weaver
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bookwizard wrote:
I would check the scenario card, but memory says that the Germans can set up in the town or on the other side of graphed river, but not on the bridge.

Why rely on memory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.