Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, people like musicians, actors, politicians, etc. Anyone like that here on BGG? Any secret geeks in Hollywood or the White House?

Gamers want to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm famous in Hollywood and the White House, but if I told you who I really am, it wouldn't be a secret anymore, would it.

Plus, a lot of people believed that speed freak I sent to BGG.CON was really me! That guy wasn't easy to find, you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, come to think of it, there are a lot of other famous people here. Not just "Dr. Glaze bought me a donut and beat me at Code 777!" famous, but people who are so famous that conventional fame doesn't impress them.

Look, I can prove it with this simple test. Which one of these would most 'Geeks choose?
A) Lunch with Brad and Angelina; then the three of you race motorcycles to Brad's gym for an hour of Tae-Bo. Wanna spar? C'mon, Angelina won't hurt you! Then Maddox gets up from his nap and beats your ass at Candyland. You get to keep the cool motorcycle suit.
B) Drinks, dinner, & drinks with the Bush family, at the White House or in Crawford, your choice. After dinner & a few, you all kick back & watch The Daily Show, and you nearly wet your pants when Dubya does his Jon Stewart impression. You get to keep a tape of the highlights of the last 3 months of Jon Stewart's phone calls.
C) Spending an afternoon hanging out with Steffan O'Sullivan. Or Bruno Faidutti. Or Richard Sivel, or Bowen Simmons, or any other BGG users of your choice. (Not including me, of course, or Sexy Amy. Or Aldie; he's busy!)

I bet I know which one most 'Geeks would pick; if I'm wrong, then I'll let you tag along next time Russell Crowe & I go out drinking. Hey, I'll even send a jet to pick you up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Actually, come to think of it, there are a lot of other famous people here. Not just "Dr. Glaze bought me a donut and beat me at Code 777!" famous, but people who are so famous that conventional fame doesn't impress them.

Look, I can prove it with this simple test. Which one of these would most 'Geeks choose?
A) Lunch with Brad and Angelina; then the three of you race motorcycles to Brad's gym for an hour of Tae-Bo. Wanna spar? C'mon, Angelina won't hurt you! Then Maddox gets up from his nap and beats your ass at Candyland. You get to keep the cool motorcycle suit.
B) Drinks, dinner, & drinks with the Bush family, at the White House or in Crawford, your choice. After dinner & a few, you all kick back & watch The Daily Show, and you nearly wet your pants when Dubya does his Jon Stewart impression. You get to keep a tape of the highlights of the last 3 months of Jon Stewart's phone calls.
C) Spending an afternoon hanging out with Steffan O'Sullivan. Or Bruno Faidutti. Or Richard Sivel, or Bowen Simmons, or any other BGG users of your choice. (Not including me, of course, or Sexy Amy. Or Aldie; he's busy!)

I bet I know which one most 'Geeks would pick; if I'm wrong, then I'll let you tag along next time Russell Crowe & I go out drinking. Hey, I'll even send a jet to pick you up.

Is that a no then?

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was MUCH more happy to get Reiner Knizia's autograph at Gencon last year than I would have been ANY movie star you can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

I'm not sure if they are registered users, but I know of two people of "star" status that have visited the geek.

I'm sure there's more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a famous lounge singer in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A.

Game designers are normal people (as I've found out many times over having corresponded with Alan Moon and meeting Steve Jackson and other lesser known game designers). They are not disconnected from the world and don't have a "mighter than thou" attitude about them.

Having met a scant handful of media celebrities including Garth Brooks, Pres. Bush Sr., Pres. Clinton, as well as some pseudo-media stars such as Buzz Aldrin, they are not very connected to the "real world". In my not so humble opinion, they see the world through their celebrity. I tend to find them more interesting because of it. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy throwing down with Mr Faidutti or Herr Knizia, I would just prefer to do it with Robin Williams or (drool) Alyson "Willow" Hannigan.

kuhrusty wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I destroyed the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom.

Well, I was there anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
In my not so humble opinion, they see the world through their celebrity. I tend to find them more interesting because of it.

Meh. The opposite for me. Celebrity smelilbrity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
I destroyed the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom.

Well, I was there anyway.

hey! i helped!

- your loyal Smeagul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
So... if I'm getting this right, what you really want to know is if we have "celebrities or semi-celebrities in american pop culture".

I mean, you couldn't care less if, say, Tony Blair was a gamer with the nick "royalbitch", or if, say, Robert Laughlin happend to frequent the geek under the moniker "quantumbaby".

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin Williams has been known to play Warhammer. I've seen pics of him with gamers at Games Workshop store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Robin Williams has been known to play Warhammer.

Not to mention mystical board game Jumanji.

There seem to be a few game company high-hats here, especially among the smaller game publishers. And they post occasionally. Plus probably a few celebs who have registered but not posted (which are sometimes called "lurkers").

Have you (the OP) tried the user search to see if anything or anyone familiar pops up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, I'm a legend in my own mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I think I'd like to react the way I understand Stephen King's hometown does--by not making it a pain in the butt to be a celebrity here. I can use my real name, and still have all the anonymity I'm likely to want, but I respect others as unknown as I am who prefer more. It seems to me that those with actual celebrity, or who have stalkers or scary ex-boyfriends or whatever, need anonymity much more. If BGG is to be friendly to as wide an array of folks as possible, I'd like to make sure such folks can use the site without fear that someone's going to try to find them out and then publicize it to the moon.

So, I guess all I'm saying is that I feel the pull of celebrity and I know it could raise the profile of the site to let people know we have famous users, so I know where you're coming from, but let's not bug the celebrities who are here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definately don't want to bug celebrities. Really could care less, but was just curious to know. I haven't done any searches for any nor will not probably search either.

Back in the ol' days of my Quake Clan we had an actor that was a part of our group. Was a fun guy to play with, but after awhile he moved on (he was with us for about 2 years).

Anyways, if any 'big-wigs', etc do read this. Hi and enjoy the gaming!

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I hear GrogNADS will be a celebrity in the future. After World War Three, his writings will be re-discovered and are going be the basis of all future religion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Yes.

I'm not sure if they are registered users, but I know of two people of "star" status that have visited the geek.

I'm sure there's more.

As helpful as this reply is... would you say who they were?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Connolly
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
I hear GrogNADS will be a celebrity in the future. After World War Three, his writings will be re-discovered and are going be the basis of all future religion.

I guess your ready for that with your fallout avatar, GorgNADS comments will also probably become the foundation for our new language, much like shakespear did for the english language!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Yes.

I'm sure there's more.

As helpful as this reply is... would you say who they were?

No.

They are acquaintances. If they prefer to lurk about unknown, I have no problem with that. They can 'out' their own anonimity if they wish.

Anyone who knows a bit of some of my personal history can easily narrow down the choices of who they may be. Scrib would be able to hazard a fair guess, but I would want him to be discerning in revealing it as well.

One is a musical figure, the other is a movie/TV personality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an international basketball player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Teixeira
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curt Schilling (He of the Bloody Red Sock) led the Boston Red Sox to their first World Series in 2004 owns part of the wargame company, Multi-Man Press.

I don't know if he is on BGG. Like many others, I try to respect famous person's privacy (like John Grisham and Sissy Spacek in Va.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Robin Williams has been known to play Warhammer. I've seen pics of him with gamers at Games Workshop store.

Most compelling argument to:

a. not play warhammer
b. not watch movies
c. all of the above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTex wrote:
Curt Schilling (He of the Bloody Red Sock) led the Boston Red Sox to their first World Series in 2004 owns part of the wargame company, Multi-Man Press.

I don't know if he is on BGG. Like many others, I try to respect famous person's privacy (like John Grisham and Sissy Spacek in Va.)

They attempted, back when Avalon Hill went completely Chapter 11, to first purchase the company outright, and then when other buyers stepped in, to buy away the entire ASL line - for no other reason than to ensure he could still buy expansions for it.

In the years since, he's become more of an online Everquest player than a boardgamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.