Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before we went out to Gaming tonight Jeff2 and I watched "Lilies of the Field."

Wow was that movie good! I love when a movie doesn't apologise for what it is, or try to be something it isn't. This movie tells a compelling story without being overdramatic, it is funny as all hell too! (not the most appropriate metaphore, but I find that amusing too) In a world where religion is increasingly politicised, it is great to see stories about faith without self-righteousness, or ulterior motives. Watch it!

Then we went to game. No role playing tonight as we didn't reach a quorum. So we busted out Magic Realm.

As usual we played the goaless version, where you wander and see how your story pans out.

I was playing the Pilgram, as I have an insatiable need to play gimped characters.

Jeff2 had the el Capitan.

Scott was playing the Amazon.

Chris had the Witch and wonder ferret.

The game was rather short for a magic realm game, as we only played something like 9 days.

The game starts out, and people make the normal moves, I hire a knight. Some of the others try to hire and don't. The witch starts to explore some.

I wander into the overpass tile beside the church and encounter the hidden castle. With three treasure sites! Woot! The spider spawns but I am hidden. So the mighty pilgram starts to loot the pools, fatiguing his magic chits. The octopus spawns and my big hired goon kills it! Yay me!

The captain and the Amazon wander a bit fighting some spiders and such. But generally not finding much.

The witch finds two of the other treasure sites in the lost city. As well as a pack of goblins that she hides from. So at this point most of the juicy treasure sites are on the board.

I continue to loot the hell out of the pool. Finding the black knights tomb(?) As well as lots of other fancy treasure, mostly purple mage stuff. The spider comes to eat me, and my knight kills him too! more fame and fortune for the pilgram. The tremendous knight busts into the black knights vault and we take the dead mans T armor.

At this point the witch starts to run into trouble. Chris moves her out of the hex, preps his mana and heads back in. He fails his hide the next turn and the gobbies swarm, so he pacifys them. The next turn, goblins spawn again putting 12 gobs on his witch. She of course fails her hide roll again and gets mulched by the gobs.

The Captain wanders trying to find one of the remaining treasure sites. The amazon heads for my little hex and the pools. I go and sell a bunch of stuff, buy the keys to open up the chest I find and get a pile more junk.

So at this point I have like 15 fame 15 noteriety, and 70+ gold. The amazon and the captain have pretty much no gear, and some fame and such, but it is clear our religious wanderer is the leader. Chris is dead and it is midnight, so the game is winding down. I wander back into the pools and Scotts Amazon ends up there too.

So of course the octopus attacks, as he has respawned when the week change. While my knight fights the octopus the amazon jumps the pilgram. Generally we don't play with PvP but the churchie needed to die, I totally understand. I just hope the octopus lives to eat the amazon. But alas the amazon kills the pilgram. The Pilgrams knight kills the octopus,and the amazon runs. (this was about 1000 times more complicated of course) And we end the game there.

I hate to sound like a broken record in my session reports of this, but the more I play this game the less I like the combat system. I think that MR is a fun game, and I have a great time every time I play it, but the combat system is cumbersome and often leaves a player with either A. No chance of survival (the gobs attacking the witch or the Amazon ambushing the Pilgram) or B. no interesting choices. (The pilgram sending his knight into to fight the octopus) It is like rock paper scissors served in an upscale bistro, complete with extrianious dipping sauces. Sometimes it is better to just eat the nachos without the caviar.

To be positive: I like how the different characters feel different. I love the programed movement and the options available there. The terror of exploring is very neat, you are never sure when your number will come up. I like how each game unfolds in an interesting way telling a story without forcing it through flavor text. A game of betrayal at house on the hill tells a story, but only the story that is in the book or rules. A magic realm game creates the story from the mechanisms within the game itself, and that is neat.

I just have to figure out what gimp character I will play next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Re: In which the Pilgram whops all kinds of monster buttocks
Quote:
the more I play this game the less I like the combat system

Have you tried the Optional Combat Rules?

Here’s an article by Jay Richardson comparing the Magic Realm Standard Combat Rules to the Optional Combat Rules in actual game situations. Please note that the latest release of the 3rd Edition includes an updated version of the Optional Missile table.

http://www.geocities.com/n_and/mr22.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: In which the Pilgram whops all kinds of monster buttocks
My guess is that the group that I play with wouldn't play the optional combat rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.