Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Vion
France
Bry
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule about the end of turn seems awkward with 2 players... Any player may force the turn (thus, the game) to end at any moment... Is there an errata or variant to this rule in a 2-player configuration ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I imagine that it's intended as a strategic element (if I remember well, your opponent gets one last action before the round really ends; thus you shouldn't be tempted to force the end of a round unless you have absolutely nothing else to do OR you've a consistent advantage).
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Vion
France
Bry
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think the "consistent advantage" may be quite easy to obtain, since it doesn't have to be extremely large not to be recoverable in only two or three actions...

One action may be worth 2 points at maximum (plus the eventual endgame points earned by conquering a city). By passing during the 2nd turn and at beginning of the 3rd turn, the other player has only 2 actions.

If during these two actions, a player conquers two "3-point" large cities (the best he can do imho, and that's quite hard to obtain), it will earn him 4 points, plus 4 points at the end of the game, the first player thus loses 6 end-game points, which is a 14-points differential.

So if at any time, a player gets a 15-points differential (including endgame points, i.e. "city markers"), he has win the game. Well, not a big issue since 15 points is quite large in this game.

However, if the other player is not in a situation where he may safely conquer two large cities (small or misplaced armies, large militias, forts, used civil wars...), this needed differential may drop dramatically.

Well, I think that this can be used as a strategic element, but then the 3rd round is clearly a "no error allowed" round, which removes the "risk taking" element introduced by dice-resolved combats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hollebeke
Belgium
Gent
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played some 2 player games and indeed this end of game rule doesn't work well with 2 players. The player who is ahead (ahead meaning that the other player cannot turn the balance with 1 action) at the start of the 3rd round can just pass immediately and the game finishes.

To avoid this I used a house rule that you may not pass in a 2 player game unless you have used up your complete dice pool.
When using this rule you at least get to play the 3rd round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping Mr Wallace will offer his thoughts on this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.