United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Their are two points i would like clarification about:

Quote:
6. Setting up the Game
..The French player may select one piece at the start of his first turn. At the start of each subsequent turn, he may select two more pieces..

1.Use of the word 'piece'. Does this literally mean you can activate only one wooden piece? Or can does it mean you can select one of the groups of pieces the French player has on the board at the start of play as your choice for activation?

e.g. The French player has a group of 3 pieces near Villanova at the beginning of the game. Can i activeate this as a group of 3 or can i only select 1 of its pieces for activation?

2.Reinforcements. Does the act of moving a piece from your off board reinforcement pool to the first locale along the major road count as their first move? Or do all the 3 Austrian reinforcements start in their first locale and then begin their moves?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules handy, but this is how I have played the game.

Vickers wrote:

1.Use of the word 'piece'. Does this literally mean you can activate only one wooden piece? Or can does it mean you can select one of the groups of pieces the French player has on the board at the start of play as your choice for activation?

e.g. The French player has a group of 3 pieces near Villanova at the beginning of the game. Can i activeate this as a group of 3 or can i only select 1 of its pieces for activation?

You can activate only one piece per activation, not the whole group.

Quote:

2.Reinforcements. Does the act of moving a piece from your off board reinforcement pool to the first locale along the major road count as their first move? Or do all the 3 Austrian reinforcements start in their first locale and then begin their moves?

I have played that the act of moving into the map from the reinforcement pool cost a move, but I might have played it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
1. It means, literally, activate one piece (not a group of pieces).

Note that this particular, one-piece activation only occurs on Turn 1 of a game, not on subsequent turns.

2. The first locale that the reinforcement enters upon moving onto the board is counted against its road movement.

Expanding the example in the rules:

If three pieces enter the board through the same locale, the first piece could move up to three locales (including the entry locale);
the second piece could move up to two locales (including the entry locale);
the third piece would end its move in the entry locale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Humphreys
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thats great, thats for clearing that up for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vickers wrote:

..The French player may select one piece at the start of his first turn. At the start of each subsequent turn, he may select two more pieces..

The answers other folks have given you were correct:

1. One piece means one piece; not one group.

2. The entry locale does count as the first move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B.
United States
Frostburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the entry locale for the Austrians, which space is their space number one. The bridge or the locale down the road from the bridge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
BalanceUT wrote:
What is the entry locale for the Austrians, which space is their space number one. The bridge or the locale down the road from the bridge?

Do you mean the actual illustrations of the road bridge and the pontoon bridge? They aren't in or part of any locale.

All Austrian reinforcements enter (their "space number 1") at the locale adjacent to the bridge illustrations.

This locale is identified as '1' in the game's Reference Map, which assigns each locale a unique ID number.

The Reference Map can be found by following the link here:

http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Marengo/Extras.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The bridge is important as it lets you move one extra piece onto the board. You get road movement and bridge movement to start the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BalanceUT wrote:

The bridge is the entry to their first locale. They expend a move to enter that locale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.