Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off the rules booklet seems badly worded and laid out, to my eyes anyway.

Questions / Clarification sought:
1) Planes, if you move them on your turn as the active player then I understand they can only use unused movement 'points' to retreat (other units get given a free 'point' to move with). But what about when you are defending and move them up to 3 squares to defend, does it matter if they moved on your last turn or not, i.e. do you have to remember how much they moved by (e.g. I moved this plane one area last turn so I can only move up to 2 more to help defend). Also what about retreating in this instance, as a defender? Do you use left over moves from you last turn (again remembering how far you moved when you were active) or do you use left over moves from a '3 move gift' you were given to get in and defend, or lastly do you get a '3 move retreat gift'?

2) Planes can't move in to defend if they are in or have been in a battle this turn... what does that mean? Does that mean that if I as the Soviets went first used planes in an attack then the West Germans went and nothing happened, then the East Germans went (if that's the order I forget) and attack me, the Soviets, so can I move those planes which battled in my turn all that time ago? Basically does it mean turn as in active players turn or does it mean turn as in going through every nations actions and the year moving on.

3) Clarification. If you win a battle going into land which wasn't controlle by you at the start of the fight and win but only artillery are left then you must retreat and the land is left with no owner.

4) Taking neutral countries, I invade and am defeated and retreat back does that mean the enemy figures used to represent the neutrals stay on the board, or do neutrals always 'heal' back up to full strength the moment they are not occupied?

5) 2 player victory conditions, is it a combined victory point total of 24 or does one of the powers under your control need to get his token to the 24 space? E.g.Soviets have 10 VP's Western Powers 14 VP's is that a win for the allies?

6) Ships adjacent to a port area, do they contribute to controlling that land region with the port (we played that they didn't, they only control the sea area they are in (though control here in the sea means nothing)).

7) Ground units include tanks, infantry, artillery they all move 1 space, they all can be transported, they (and planes) can all control a region, but only tanks and men can conquer an area. Right?

8) After the final year if no-one's won outright do you just go by most combined VP's or most single nation's VP's or what?

9) In 2 player Germany plays as a single nation right? So I build in whatever order I like swapping between East and West, can attack together etc. etc.

10) I can move troops from one area to another then battle then look at a different area and move in 2 different armies then battle there, then elsewhere I can move 2 armies into 2 different regions then play out both battle back to back. Basically is it really that flexible when it comes to order of movement and battles etc?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:

Questions / Clarification sought:
1) Planes, if you move them on your turn as the active player then I understand they can only use unused movement 'points' to retreat (other units get given a free 'point' to move with). But what about when you are defending and move them up to 3 squares to defend, does it matter if they moved on your last turn or not, i.e. do you have to remember how much they moved by (e.g. I moved this plane one area last turn so I can only move up to 2 more to help defend). Also what about retreating in this instance, as a defender? Do you use left over moves from you last turn (again remembering how far you moved when you were active) or do you use left over moves from a '3 move gift' you were given to get in and defend, or lastly do you get a '3 move retreat gift'?

1a - No, it doesn't matter if you moved on your last turn. Your turn is over.

1b - Planes use left over moves from the "active players turn" when retreating so if you brought them in as support you'll have to remeber how far they have moved. If the planes were already in the attacked area to begin with then they'll get the "free retreat move", moving one step into a friendly area.

Quote:

2) Planes can't move in to defend if they are in or have been in a battle this turn... what does that mean? Does that mean that if I as the Soviets went first used planes in an attack then the West Germans went and nothing happened, then the East Germans went (if that's the order I forget) and attack me, the Soviets, so can I move those planes which battled in my turn all that time ago? Basically does it mean turn as in active players turn or does it mean turn as in going through every nations actions and the year moving on.

2 - It means that you can't use a plane twice in the active players turn. Lets say that the Germans attack Paris and Marseille and you decide to fight the battle for Paris first. The allies wins and the fight is over. In the next fight, the allies want to bring in support from nearby planes and there is one in Paris. This plane is not allwed to fight the battle since it has already been in a battle.

There is one part of the rules that makes this complicated and that is the fact that you DON'T have to move all your attacking forces at once, declaring all battles as you do so. The Germans can choose to attack Marseille and the allies can send the plane from Paris to help. After the battle has been fought the Germans can decide to attack Paris. By doing so he has tricked the allies to move their plane away from Paris, making it easier to win the battle.

Quote:

3) Clarification. If you win a battle going into land which wasn't controlle by you at the start of the fight and win but only artillery are left then you must retreat and the land is left with no owner.

3- That's correct. You must have infatry or tanks to take control of a new area.

Quote:

4) Taking neutral countries, I invade and am defeated and retreat back does that mean the enemy figures used to represent the neutrals stay on the board, or do neutrals always 'heal' back up to full strength the moment they are not occupied?

4- The neutrals always heal up.

Quote:

5) 2 player victory conditions, is it a combined victory point total of 24 or does one of the powers under your control need to get his token to the 24 space? E.g.Soviets have 10 VP's Western Powers 14 VP's is that a win for the allies?

5 - in a 2 player game you use the combined victory point total.

Quote:

6) Ships adjacent to a port area, do they contribute to controlling that land region with the port (we played that they didn't, they only control the sea area they are in (though control here in the sea means nothing)).

Ships can't control land areas in any way. They do, however, blockade the areas from procucing naval units in the area they are in. Notice that some ports can produce units in two sea zones. Both those zones mut be contested by the enemy to stop you from building naval units. Blockading your opponents ports is a good strategy.

Quote:

7) Ground units include tanks, infantry, artillery they all move 1 space, they all can be transported, they (and planes) can all control a region, but only tanks and men can conquer an area. Right?

7 - Correct.

Quote:

8) After the final year if no-one's won outright do you just go by most combined VP's or most single nation's VP's or what?

8 - Can't help you here, I've never played a game that lasted that long before one side had won.

Quote:

9) In 2 player Germany plays as a single nation right? So I build in whatever order I like swapping between East and West, can attack together etc. etc.

9 - Correct. However, I feel that this gives the Germans a too big advantage so I usually play with Germany as in a four player game, keeping the western and eastern economy separated.

Quote:

10) I can move troops from one area to another then battle then look at a different area and move in 2 different armies then battle there, then elsewhere I can move 2 armies into 2 different regions then play out both battle back to back. Basically is it really that flexible when it comes to order of movement and battles etc?

10 - Correct. This is the hardest part of the game and it opens up for new strategies.
Moving all forces before resolving any battles helps the defender decide where to move his supporting planes.
fighting each battle before you move any more troops gives the attacker an advantage as it makes it harde for the defender to decide when to send in his planes.
Note: You're not allowed to attack the same area twice in one turn.

Quote:

Thanks.

You're welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the help I have one more thing to clear up though:

You wrote:
1b - Planes use left over moves from the "active players turn" when retreating so if you brought them in as support you'll have to remeber how far they have moved. If the planes were already in the attacked area to begin with then they'll get the "free retreat move", moving one step into a friendly area.

Ok so I'm non-active. I'm attacked I may now move any of my planes (who haven't been attacked by or helped defend against the active player yet in his turn) 3 spaces. If I need to retreat with the planes I brought in or any planes alreay in the attacked space then they all get a free 1 area move, never more and never less, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
Thanks very much for the help I have one more thing to clear up though:

You wrote:

Ok so I'm non-active. I'm attacked I may now move any of my planes (who haven't been attacked by or helped defend against the active player yet in his turn) 3 spaces. If I need to retreat with the planes I brought in or any planes alreay in the attacked space then they all get a free 1 area move, never more and never less, right?

I just read the Danish version of the rules since they are available on the geek. In section 7.2 Retreat from sea zones (page 5 in the Danish rule book) there's an detailed description covering retreat with planes.

What it says is that a planes move is limited to three steps per turn, retreat included. A stationary plane may therefore retreat up to three steps. you may in that way build planes in England in your turn and fly them to France and during the German players turn, after you've lost a battle, you may retreat back to England.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Ok but what if I kept those planes in England on my turn and then when the Germans attacked me in France I move them 3 spaces to reinforce but lose the battle do those planes:

a) Die they used up the 3 free moves they get to reinforce.

b) Get a free single move retreat like ground units only in this special case.

c) Get 3 free retreat moves

2) Ok now how about if I moved them only 1 space to defend and I lost can they:

a) move 2 spaces to retreat (since they used 1 of their free 3 reinforce move pointS)

b) Get a free single move retreat like ground units only in this special case, but its always only 1 space.

c) Get 3 free retreat moves.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another point, it does seem that planes are very powerful / mobile since as a German player I can use them to attack in my turn 3 spaces away.

Then in the Western Powers turn move those same planes 3 spaces to defend an attacked area.

Then in the Soviet phase I can move those same planes yet again another 3 spaces to defend an attacked area.

I just want to be sure this is right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
1) Ok but what if I kept those planes in England on my turn and then when the Germans attacked me in France I move them 3 spaces to reinforce but lose the battle do those planes:

a) Die they used up the 3 free moves they get to reinforce.

b) Get a free single move retreat like ground units only in this special case.

c) Get 3 free retreat moves

If they moved three steps in the active players move and lose the battle, they are destroyed.

Quote:

2) Ok now how about if I moved them only 1 space to defend and I lost can they:

a) move 2 spaces to retreat (since they used 1 of their free 3 reinforce move pointS)

b) Get a free single move retreat like ground units only in this special case, but its always only 1 space.

c) Get 3 free retreat moves.

Since they only moved one step in the active players turn they have two steps left to use as they like when retreating.

It's important to remember that some planes may have remaining moves while others doesn't. To simplify things we always remove the planes with the most movement remaing first, hoping that we might score a few free kills this way. There is nothing wrong with doing so since you always chose your opponents losses, we just make sure that no one tries to cheat by willingly removing one of his planes that are doomed anyway.

Quote:
Thanks

Don't mention it. What are geeks for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
Another point, it does seem that planes are very powerful / mobile since as a German player I can use them to attack in my turn 3 spaces away.

Then in the Western Powers turn move those same planes 3 spaces to defend an attacked area.

Then in the Soviet phase I can move those same planes yet again another 3 spaces to defend an attacked area.

I just want to be sure this is right!

Planes are awesome, but they have their weaknesses as well as strenghts.

- Planes can't be used to take control of enemy territory.
- Planes can't sink battleships (making blockades devastating)
- Planes die easily (due to lack of movement)

Planes are probably the best defensive unit, but you need infantry and/or tanks to expand. There are many ways to play the game, but the key is balance. If you build planes, I will build artillery. If I build artillery, you'll have to build infantry and so on.

Tanks are the least appreciated unit but I I like them. They are hard to use but once you discover their secret you'll appreciate them as much as the planes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Riker
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Tanks too, but Artillery is ever present in neutral nations, so to take those all important neutrals, you need INfantry!
I find 3 infantry and 1 Arty and (optional 1 plane) will conquer almost all of the neutrals.

Great fun this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow, a ton of good questions (with some good answers provided too)!

tigermuppetcut wrote:

Just keep playing until someone wins by VPs. The turn track is mostly decorative (unless using house rules to limit amphibious landings).

From the rules booklet, the only time year track is mentioned as a endgame condition is when both players agreed on a particular turn to stop playing. In that case, whichever player has the most VPs is declared the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions and answers. Our interpretations turn out to have been correct. This game has a lot of strategic considerations that come out over a series of games.

I am intrigued by the observation that experienced players will love tanks as much as planes. While we have found tanks very useful, planes top our list--in no small part because if France doesn't fall early, planes from USA/England (committed in defense of the western France area) can make France very hard for the Germans to take entirely.

Does anyone know whether the publisher is still in business, and if so, whether any consideration is being given to a Pacific version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
I am intrigued by the observation that experienced players will love tanks as much as planes.

I lost my last game due to the fact that I had forgot how to use tanks. It was devastating!
Quote:

While we have found tanks very useful, planes top our list--in no small part because if France doesn't fall early, planes from USA/England (committed in defense of the western France area) can make France very hard for the Germans to take entirely.

Planes are a must for the defence of France since their production is crippled. It's also a big difference between a two to three player game and a four player game since the german player is allowed to "merge" his forces if he's alone, so I prefer to to play them as if they were two players in order to make it a bit easier for the allied player to defend France.

Quote:

Does anyone know whether the publisher is still in business, and if so, whether any consideration is being given to a Pacific version?

There are no plans for a pacific version of the game.
The Game designer actually made a second game but never published it since he didn't feel that it had a unique feeling to it (It was similar to History of the world and quite interesting and fun). He wrote a book a few years back but I haven't heard from him since it got published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.