Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that frodo can use any white card as a wild card, but does that mean he can not only use it as a "wild token" or any other token as well?

So if you have a tree-icon, can you only change that to the star-icon, or can you use the "wild-card" ability to change it to any icon you want?

Hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance!

Faerun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A wildcard can always be used as ANY other card, so yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
He can use any white card as any symbol he needs.
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Luke the Flaming wrote:
He can use any white card as any symbol he needs.

Not quite correct. Frodo can use any white hobbit card as any symbol he needs. He cannot use his ability with white feature cards.

The hobbit cards are the cards with no central icon on their backside. They also have a single icon (traveling, fighting, hiding, friendship, wild) on the front.

The feature cards have a large central icon on their backside. They also tend to to have 2 or 3 icons (though some have a single icon) on them. For example, Frodo's ability can't be used to convert Boromir from 2 Fighting into 2 Wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks a lot for clearing that up

By the way, another question rised while playing:

When I get the sundial with the option to discard 3 cards of same type: do items also count? (By that I mean the yellow cards)

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Faerun wrote:
When I get the sundial with the option to discard 3 cards of same type: do items also count? (By that I mean the yellow cards)

Unless the italian edition has wrong rules upon this subject too (quite possible indeed shake ), that Sundial allows the players to discard any 3 cards (I'm not not sure why you mention "of same type") so you can discard items (yellow cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules state that the cards have to be of the same type (dutch rules)

Thanks for the response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Faerun wrote:
When I get the sundial with the option to discard 3 cards of same type

English rules state (emphasis mine):

Quote:
If you join together with other players to discard 3 cards of any type between you, then nothing happens.

So if the Dutch rules say same type, that appears to be a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply:

But doesn't any in this context mean:

You can choose any type (walking, hiding, friendship etc.)

and you have to discard 3 of the icon of choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case I would have expected the rules to say any one type or any single type. English is a terrible language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Chris Lawson's website has a very detailed explanation of the rules (checked by Knizia; http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/rk/lotr/rules.htm) and describes that tile in this way: "If you join together with the other players to discard any three cards between you, then nothing happens. If not, the next Event occurs. In both cases the active player must then reveal another Event tile.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys

Much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: Some rules in "Summary Rules" are worded differently to those int the "Complete Rules".

Thus, it may say "of one type" in summary, however not in the complete rules.

Also, I would like highlight the original question and comment as I too came here for the answer...

It seems too easy for Frodo to be able to swap 3 white cards for any symble to avoid events. Maybe we have been lucky with the game, but we can play an entire game where Sauron only moves 1 step, and we are all around 1 to 3 on the board.

I believe, to make it more difficult, a request to produce cards of a certain type should be met by producing cards of that type only, (maybe even real jokers) but not "any white card" by Frodo.
This would increase the strategy and pressure players to plan ahead more.

any thoughts regarding this would be great to see.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmer1in wrote:

It seems too easy for Frodo to be able to swap 3 white cards for any symble to avoid events. Maybe we have been lucky with the game, but we can play an entire game where Sauron only moves 1 step, and we are all around 1 to 3 on the board.

I will guarantee you that you have either experienced uncommon luck with the game or have not played correctly. My guess is the latter.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Octavian wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:

I will guarantee you that you have either experienced uncommon luck with the game or have not played correctly.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.