Dan Buterbaugh
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm really hoping so. It will add the whole other side of the war into the game without people having to move up to full ASL. Not to mention that Code of Bushido is out of print and goes for ridiculous sums of money on eBay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's looking more and more like MMP will put up a Code of Bushido reprint on their webpage sometime this year for preorders.

There's nothing I've seen (which has admittedly been little) of ASLSK#3 that would indicate anything taking place in the PTO. Remember, too, that some later ASLSK scenarios using armor (published in their Operations magazine, or one of the many that are sure to follow from other sources) might want to throw in some big guns as well, and there were no artillery or mortar pieces specific to the PTO in ASLSK#2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Schultz
South Korea
USAG Humphreys - Pyeongtaek, South Korea
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan

The problem I would see by trying to add the Japanese and Marines into the ASLSK world is the TERRAIN. You go from the map boards of Europe to the Jungles and Beaches of the Pacific. That is going to be a big step for ASLSK if they even go that far. Not saying they wont or shouldn't but just adding the counters for the SQDs and WPNS into the counter mix wouldn't bring on the RUSH of a BANZI charge or hitting the beach and trying to get into the Jungle in one piece.

Lot of ASL players even find the Pacific sceniors tuff so before you go running off on the beach and getting lost in the jungle enjoy the ride your about to get inside a nice safe AFV in Europe just watch out for that 88mm AA Gun that is swinging it's barrel your way.

ASL or ASLSK enjoy the game and as Mr Moody said get on VASL and find a good teacher or just lurk in a room and watch and learn.

later, Earl

SFC Schultz, FOB Salerno, Afghanistan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it unlikely, if only because concealment and HIP are such an essential part of the Japanese in ASL. They also bring with them a whole new raft of specific new rules (step reduction, differing leadership, banzai charges, DC and TH heroes, plus more). That's a lot to bring into the system together with vehicles. Add rules for PTO terrain as well...

Now, what might be feasible is a SK that brings in the Japanese and Chinese without PTO terrain. Some of the most interesting scenarios involving the Japanese take place in urban terrain, so no new terrain rules are absolutely necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buterbaugh
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't see how terrain could take up more than a page of rules. Including hiding, banzai, etc. If it does, then I'm thinking full ASL is way too complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buterbaugh
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Chris_Milne wrote:

Now, what might be feasible is a SK that brings in the Japanese and Chinese without PTO terrain. Some of the most interesting scenarios involving the Japanese take place in urban terrain, so no new terrain rules are absolutely necessary.

I'd be ok with this. Or make it Japanese vs British, and play fighting around Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I don't see how terrain could take up more than a page of rules. Including hiding, banzai, etc. If it does, then I'm thinking full ASL is way too complicated.

The ASL Pacific rules are 42 pages long, covering the Pacific terrain, Japanese army, Chinese army, and US Marines. When reissued in 2nd edition rulebook format, which uses a larger font, they will probably be even longer.

The goal of ASL is to allow you to recreate any action fought anywhere during WWII. That means a lot of rules. So, for example, there are rules for rice paddies, and counters to indicate when a unit is on the bank of a rice paddy instead of down in the rice paddy itself. This may not be important to you – you may never play a scenario that includes fighting in rice paddies – but it will be important to other players. And the Pacific has LOTS of unusual terrain!

However, the main reason I think that the Japanese will not appear in the starter kits is because they have pages and pages of special rules concerning their use... you start with the astonishing fact that Japanese squads NEVER break, then add in banzai charges, tank-hunter heroes, and so on. The Japanese are a completely unique nationality to play, but the Pacific rules take ASL's complexity to a whole new level. The Pacific theater is actually one of the reasons for ASL's existence: players of the original Squad Leader series wanted Avalon Hill to produce a Pacific module for that game, but AH claimed that it simply couldn't be done... that the SL rules could not handle the requirements of the Pacific. So ASL was created to both clean up the tangled SL rules mess AND to allow the Pacific theater to be added.

It's hard to imagine how the Pacific rules could be distilled down to something that could work in a starter kit without hopelessly confusing players who are just trying to learn the basic ASL rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The marines and the other US Elite units are different counters or use the same E counter in the full ASL? And what about the Waffen SS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
The US Marines have their own MMC counters and a few special rules. They are all elite with an ELR of 5. The counters are:

* 2-2-8 infantry crew
* 4(2)-5-8 Defense Battalion squad (1941-43)
* 4(2)-5-8 rifle squad (1942)
* 5(2)-5-8 BAR squad (1942)
* 5(2)-5-8 Paramarine/Raider squad (1942-43)
* 6(3)-6-8 rifle squad (1942-44)
* 7(3)-6-8 rifle squad (1944-45)

As you can see, the Marines are a LOT different than the regular US Army. (This has sparked an endless debate as to why the Marines get a morale rating of 8 but US paratroopers only get a 7.)

The Marines use the regular US SW and vehicles, although Gung Ho also included counters for bulldozers, armored bulldozers, and three versions of LVT (Landing Vehicle, Tracked).

The German SS squads are 6(2)-5-8 and elite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starter Kit #3 Nationalities
Do somebody knows what nationalities will the Starter Kit #3 contains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
danbuter wrote:

We really need a "roll on floor laughing" animation here.

Dan, suffice it too say that the folks that wrote the full ASL rules are the James Fennimore Coopers of the rule-writing world. In other words, they can take 10 pages to say what someone else could say in 3 paragraphs lol. Now, I'm not saying I could do any better at rules writing...but be that as it may, brevity is NOT something you'll find much of while reading the ASL rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
somoskeai wrote:
Do somebody knows what nationalities will the Starter Kit #3 contains?

In the recent GeekList "ASL Resurgent" Brian Youse of MMP posted the following:

Brian Youse wrote:
Starter Kit #3 will have Germans, British, Russians, and Americans.

He had quite a lot to say about starter kit #3. You can read his entire post at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No axis minors cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Humm
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least I get some stuff with the Brits having armour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.