Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, relatively simple question, how many times in a single Combat Segment can an HQ provide ranged support?

At first I was playing it that an HQ could continue to provide ranged support until it was involved directly in an attack or defending its own hex.

However I re-read the section 4.2.1.2 which says "A supplied HQ unit has the ability to participate in combat ... by providing Ranged Support". Under 'HQ Ranged Support Restrictions' it says that "An HQ unit that has participated in combat cannot provide Ranged Support to another combat later in the same Combat Segment".

This makes me think that in a single Combat Segment an HQ unit can either attack, defend, or provide Ranged Support to one combat.

Is that right?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right.
(Your first games must have felt more like WWI than WWII.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, well I was halfway through the first turn of the Barbarossa scenario; just starting the Combat Segment of the Soviet Faction turn.

The Axis forces got a rather large advantage in their part of the turn then. Mind you, so did the Soviets I guess.

Is it worth resetting the scenario, or just carrying on?

Tempted to carry on; perhaps I could rationalise it by assuming the Germans took the Russians by surprise, a blitzkrieg of sorts.

Thanks for the response Stephan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may carry on, I guess. It makes most of a difference, when the defender (!) has HQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 support a combat phase. The lack of HQs is a major problem for the Soviets early on. But late in the war, when they often have lots of weak ones, they can launch big offensives that can knock the Germans off their feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
mbmbmbmbmb
Kappa_ap wrote:
Ok, relatively simple question, how many times in a single Combat Segment can an HQ provide ranged support?

At first I was playing it that an HQ could continue to provide ranged support until it was involved directly in an attack or defending its own hex.

However I re-read the section 4.2.1.2 which says "A supplied HQ unit has the ability to participate in combat ... by providing Ranged Support". Under 'HQ Ranged Support Restrictions' it says that "An HQ unit that has participated in combat cannot provide Ranged Support to another combat later in the same Combat Segment".

This makes me think that in a single Combat Segment an HQ unit can either attack, defend, or provide Ranged Support to one combat.

Is that right?

Thanks.
I believe they can provide ranged support and use their defence if attacked in the same combat phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Order matters
Ashiefan wrote:
Kappa_ap wrote:

Is that right?

Thanks.
I believe they can provide ranged support and use their defence if attacked in the same combat phase.
Only if the attacker lets them.

If he is silly enough to not attack the hex with the HQ first, then it may throw support elsewhere as it has not particitpated in any combat yet. If he then later attacks the hex with the HQ then it may (actually must) participate again in its own combat.

If the attacker has a bit better understanding of the rules, he will first attack the hex with the HQ and force it to participate in that combat. Aftet that it may not throw support anymore, because then it will already have participated in a combat.

Order of attack makes a difference here. First: Soak off the HQ, if necessary at low odds ... then attack where you actually want to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls