♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
So, I've started reading Foundation, in my recent push to catch up on all of the science-fiction classics, and while I'm VERY much enjoying it, I'm starting to wonder about the chronology of the series. I decided to read Foundation first, because it was the first book written in the series, but I know that Prelude to Foundation actually begins the story, even though it was written long after Foundation was published (in fact, wasn't Prelude written and published LAST?).

Am I going to screw up my enjoyment of the series by reading it out of order? I'm guessing not, since most people who read the series as it was published didn't get to Prelude until long after they had read the other books, but I wanted to check in with the Geeks first.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I am a Asimov freak. I originally read the Foundation first, and then Prelude to Foundation and then Forward the Foundation. I reread the series (three times) Prelude / Forward / Trilogy .Edge / Earth.

I typically always like to read in the order written, but I am not sure on this one. Prelude in a much easier read and IMHO the best in the serious. My last sentence will be considered heresy by some. That being said, there will be surprises regardless the order you read them. If you are not sold on Asimov read Prelude / Forward / Foundation Trilogy. Prelude, will give motivation to get through the rest of the books. Otherwise read in order written. The Trilogy is despised by many, but loved by more. The Prelude is just fun.

In the begining of Prelude Asimov lists the order of the books, and speaks about this.

Don't forget to read Pohl's Gateway. The best Science Fiction novel ever written (IMHO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is necessary to read the prequel first. I enjoyed the foundation series quite a bit without having read the prequel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Maisey
England
Wells
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would stick with starting with Foundation, the original trilogy is the classic and the best in my opinion. I don't think I would have enjoyed prelude and forward if I hadn't done them in the original order.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I too love the Foundation series, great books that, in my opinion, get better as the series progesses. I read the original series, then back tracked and picked up the others, and I never felt that I should have read them any other way.

Another recommendation for you, the Rama books by Arthur C. Clarke.

hope you enjoy

jamie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I read Rendezvous with Rama a few years back, and found it dry and plotless. I felt like I was reading a scientific treatise, and not a novel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know exactly what you mean, I felt the same way when I read Rendezvous, but I swear to you, from the second book on you're hooked; they get better. So much better. I'd actually go so far as to say that the Rama books are one of my best sci-fi experiences...honest.

Jamie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll be fine reading them in order of writing:

Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
Prelude in a much easier read and IMHO the best in the serious. My last sentence will be considered heresy by some.

At least you admit your sin

Read them in the order written. And then, if you don't want to foul the memories, avoid Prelude.

(OK, I know that you probably won't be able to. I couldn't - I'm a completist and HAD to finish everything. If I read the series again, I'll probably read Prelude again. But if you're not a completist dolt like me, avoid it. Don't say that I didn't warn you!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
dturnerfish wrote:
Don't forget to read Pohl's Gateway. The best Science Fiction novel ever written (IMHO).

Oh, FABULOUS. Like I need another book to add to the ever-growing pile of books to read next to my bed.

shake

I've already placed a hold for it.

Tony, I know what you mean about being a completist. One of my favorite books is Replay by Ken Grimwood, and whenever I recommend it, I say the same thing: If you can do it, don't read the epilogue. The story is perfect without it, and those last two pages just muck up the tale. I don't think anyone who's ever read it from my recommendation has been able to do it, but they always say that I was right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Maisey
England
Wells
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
dturnerfish wrote:

Oh, FABULOUS. Like I need another book to add to the ever-growing pile of books to read next to my bed.

shake

Same here! Too many books.....!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Foundation (rereading now), Gateway (excellent), Rama (Good). All excellent books. As I recall, I also liked Foothold. What about Ringworld by Niven?

Here is a real unusual one I really recommend: Manhattan Transfer: John E. Stith
(Aliens steal New York City with reason, and eventually you find out why.)

Also, for your non-fiction books, a high recommendation for:

Asimov's Chronology of Science & Discovery

It is a history of significant scientific events from billions of years ago to the present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.