Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Webb
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any practical limit to the number of times an army can succesfully conduct Avoidance operations? I'm playing the Mercenary War scenario and am trying to pin down Spendius' last significant force only to have him successfully roll for Avoidance four times consecutively, incurring AP losses and withdrawing along the coast while Hanno pursues him but can't corner him for battle. Is this intended? I might expect Hannibal the Great to frustrate his pursuers repeatedly but I imagine that a tactically superior leader would eventually bring his foe to battle. Should there be a DR penalty for multiple Avoidance attempts? I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Ricco'
Italy
Modena
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the avoidance procedure I quite correct.
In the ancient time, it was difficult to catch an unwilling opponent, because the battle had to fight in the right terrain, with the right order of battle and so on.
Anyway, because you are losing man (ALP) any avoidance if your force is quite big (10 SP or more), it is quite expensive to use a lot of time.
Regarding the leader, a good leader has capability to avoid better or reduce the enemy possibility using guilt points, permitting to Hannibal to combat where he likes. But when the Romans wanted to avoid Hannibal was every time successful staying inside Rome :-)).
BR
Ribot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kiefer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You have to remember that the avoiding army will lose 1 strength point for every hex retreated, while the pursuing army consults the Attrition charts for their losses. Avoid combat enough and you'll deplete your army running away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the 10% rule. If your force contains 9 SPs or less, you won't lose any during avoidance.

Also, the attacker can spend Guile points here to influence the DR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.