Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the "How to Lose at Power Grid" here's your handy guide to the tricks the experts USE to LOSE! And remember, to really count this can't just be an "I messed up the BSW UI and misclicked."

1. Spend out all of your money, expecting a source of income for next turn that fails to materialize. For example -- Spend out, knowing that you are going to win at the Castle. But another player jumps in behind you and beats you! Now, unless one of the sections scores (and you can use a favor for money), then you start the next turn with $2. Sometimes you can recover from that...Other clever ones are expecting to use Jousting for money, hoping to pass first to get the dollar...but someone passes!

2. Saving that "nobody else can use it but me tile" for last, when your opponent noticed that if he blocked you, it would cost you a ton of victory points and prevent your win.

3. Being closest to the edge of the city, and having to pass before the other players, guaranteeing that you'll lose at least one worker.

4. Building that 6 VP stone building that lets one of your opponents make a huge score, instead of just taking less points for a production building that doesn't really help anyone.

5. Buying a huge prestige building one or two turns too early, costing yourself income, cube position and painting a bullseye on yourself as you vault into the lead.

6. "I know how everyone will move the provost."

7. "The construction track is so good, I may as well jump on it even though two other players have leveled up."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Kruijswijk
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You forgot an important one:

- To forget to grab for the first turn order.

Next turn it as expensive as the current turn.

Lucas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6. "I know how everyone will move the provost."

i chuckled at this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are first in the turn order: Playing your first worker to be first in the turn order each turn - thus effectively making you last in the turn order... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Placing a worker on the a "get a single cube" pink tile, then on the "sell a cube for $4" tile, when you could have gotten the same result by taking the trading post for the same net result (up $2) and placed other stuff faster.

Of course, doing the "get a cube/sell a cube" last (when you have the Inn, for example) and the trading post was already gone is a different beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the Jousting Field without a purple.. knowing that you have a purple coming down the road... amazing how often people miscalculate this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Weaver
Greece
Lefkas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing that you are going to place a worker in the castle and then finding that because other people pass on you, you can't afford it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
Taking the Jousting Field without a purple.. knowing that you have a purple coming down the road... amazing how often people miscalculate this one

Guilty! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Placing a worker ( first )in the castle, then
a) everone passes, now you cannot afford to place the cube gatherer you needed.
b) everyone else grabs all the avaliable ( useful )cube generating places left, even though you had several options on which to use...they all get taken.

of course, had you grabbed the cube first then you'd be last in the castle or excluded as everone passes and you cannot afford it.

Nice to see it happen......REALLY annoying when it happens to you !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:

Aaargh! Did this the other day; it is amazing how often this happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Bankler wrote:

2. Saving that "nobody else can use it but me tile" for last

...and then forgetting to place that last worker assuming that it was a given already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the final turn, using three coins to ensure that the last player to pass can't move the provost back to deny me the use of my last worker...

but that last worker was in the bank and I had only one coin left and couldn't use it.

(The actual mistake was before this. I passed rather than spending $3 to get $3; had I taken the $3, the other player would have had to pass before I did, and if he had spent $3 to move the provost back and deny me the bank, he would cut off his own last worker.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.