Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game on the shelf since I picked up a couple copies in a KB fire sale several months ago. Thinking my boys might be ready for it, I set it up and waited for one of the guys to happen by. I had my eight-year-old in mind, but my six-year-old showed up first, and he was eager to play.

I keep underestimating my little guy -- he picked this one up fast. Before long we were mixing it up in a big aerial furball in the center of the map while our destroyers slowly closed ranged and swatted aircraft out of the sky. It's a pretty lethal environment in this game, and after a move or two most of our air forces had crashed and burned. I broke through with my last flight of jets and put a couple harpoons in the side of Jack's carrier ... which makes me a bit of a bully, I suppose, but war is hell, son.

A good but not great game. Jack says it's better than "Battleship," because Battleship is just a guessing game, and here he gets to move the ships. A future admiral, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'd agree with your overall assessment. I just taught my 7-year-old son how to play over the weekend, and he really enjoyed the game. It's a very light game, but you can do some strategy and feints and whatnot to make things interesting. I too was surprised how quickly your air force gets decimated! It's a pretty brutal game with destroyers and dogfights all around...

The real trick to the game is firing Harpoons far enough away so the Harpoon doesn't get shot down yet not so far away that it falls short of its target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.