Subject: Considerations from Herod's Palace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Lipka
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Let's say the Romans manage a coup during AP1 and captures Herod's Palace (such as in my own recent experience). What can he do with this position? Should he hold it defensively until the Upper City is taken and move on, or use it as the attack platform for the Upper City itself? Or, for a compromise, use the position to attack Upper City without intent to capture, only to draw off Judeans from the main thrust?

Well, to start, I look at the terrain. Yuck. yuk That edifice is bad for stacking, blocks most LOF, and limits mvmt (3 for Roman infantry to move into each hex). There is some open space, enough to move siege engines around unimpeded, but no nice place to set up artillery with any decent LOF. Unless perhaps on the western wall, in bastions, where they won't be allowed to move during the AP. Better for LOF, though, so it probably is the best one can expect.

The Fortress Triangle looms to the north. Not a pretty sight; 5 major forts in close proximity, giving the Judeans a great base to mass alot of firepower (if the player is willing to give a solid 15 regulars to this area: fewer if the garrison regulars are alive). And if heavy Judean artillery shows up, they have the Palace grounds covered quite nicely from their perch. Look out in the open!

The rest of the wall is comparatively weak, only one fort and one bastion, or two if you look to the farther SW corner. All of this fronts into the UC itself: lots of reserves in there, boyo. So if you begin to fire upon the Judeans on that wall, they will get reinforced. In the UC itself, the western side has a convenient edifice (again!)-- the Marketplace. If the Roman decides to make his breach on this section, that will be the front line of Judean defense. Now I am not saying it is an impossible attack to make, but if the Roman is unlucky he could find himself in a very nasty crossfire from protective positions.

What about the south wall? At first glance, this is a decent place to make a breach and fight for those 6 built-ups to make an inroad into the UC. The dogleg isn't too hard into the UC at large, but once again the Judean has some great forts nearby to hit Romans in the clear. That SE bastion of the Palace will need to be taken, but it is arrranged in the hexgrid so that it is hard to get towers against it from within Palace grounds. This attack would start better than the others, but will likely fizzle out without an attack on the UC somewhere else in support.

The Roman could opt to hit the Triangle area; at least it won't call up reserves. But the place can be filled with regulars and become a very dangerous area, even for rams and towers. Roman Artillery has an option to move up from outside the city, but is perilously close to the Yafo gate, a great place for a Judean sortie.

My safest conclusion has been to take defensive measures in HP during AP2, then use the Palace as a second place to attack the UC in AP3 or 4. Those 6 southernmost built-ups are vulnerable to a small Roman force, with modest objectives, as long as Romans can capture more built-ups behind the UC north wall. But at the same time, enough force should cover the Palace to make the Judean treat it seriously. At least this will draw some good units away from the Tyropean wall. The Roman can threaten to make a quick grab for the UC, as long as a ram (and hopefully a mineshaft) can be spared to save time. Problem: when the Roman makes a substantial commitment to holding the Palace, how can he press just hard enough to distract the most Judeans without becoming fully engaged in a pointless (and likely bloody) pushing contest?

Does anyone see what I'm talking about? Agree or disagree?

Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Aaron,

I agree with your assesment. It’s quite tough to attack from HP in your situation.
You AAR inspired me however to attack HP myself, but in AP2 and not in AP1. I decided against attacking HP in AP1 for the same reasons you stated in your mail.
Not that I did the smarter thing.. I decided to attack the south west corner of the city with two legions instead. Mining was highly succesfull (I got 4 shafts), so the wall there looked like Swiss cheese and I did manage to draw a considerable amount of troops. The taking of the New City with one legion was easy. My fourth legion was near the temple.
The slopes proved to be my undoing however, I offered a cease fire in the fourth turn and the Judean accepted.
I’m attacking HP in AP2 however. I’m using your “augmenting trick”. Titus took a ballista and an onager and while Two legions are breaking into the Tyropean, we are blasting the Judeans from the wall. Marten Jan, the Judean, has come to the same conclusion as Alan and has withdrawn some of his regulars because they are melting away under my fire.. So this time I’m hoping to at least reach the wall in good order. I did mine succesfully again (4 shafts) and there is a breach in the west wall of HP (the point next to the bastion next to the UC )
I do hope to take the palace. With the New and the Tyropean City taken, I then will still have all my options open. At the end of AP2 I then own 25% of Jerusalem and if I take Antonia Fortress and the Upper city in AP3, I have 45% under my control. Enough to buy me a ticket for AP4. I can then go for the temple or the rest of the city. I can also decide to attack the temple in AP3, so the Judean has to spread his artillery..
Attacking the UC from HP in AP3 should be very feasible. I can attack from the Tyropean, from the HP and also from the holes in the west wall of the UC..

Regards,
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lipka
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Hi Peter,
I'm glad my own considerations are working for you: too often I doubt that they would work more than once. THe nice thing about Siege is that there are numerous possible combinations of attacks, each with the possibility to work if handled right. Finding a "winning strategy" is complicated-- so I'm happy when anything I discover can work several times!
Dad and I have looked closely at that SW wall bordering the UC. Yeah, that slope would be a major pain to climb in the face of some withering Judean fire! Massed Artillery is probably your best bet to advancing intact. Once there, it looks like a do-able attack: just be careful not to get "Thermopylae syndrome" in the bottleneck once your within the UC. A few good Judeans could hold a sizeable Roman force at that point: shock and disruption must be your weapons there.
Your Phase-to-phase plan seems logical and clean. Like you said, keeping options open is the key! Good luck in AP2- it sounds like your off to a good start!
Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.