Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
As someone who usually plays with one other player and loves one on one competition, does this game work well as a two player game?

I am tempted to buy this game when available in the US but am hesistant due to the mixed reviews. Some on this site as saying it is very interactive, enjoyable and plays different everytime while others describe it as dry as a bone!

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Howard

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
Also curious. Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I have played a few times. Each game went down a different path. One game, only 1 piece of the church built, another game, the whole thing.

Trade spaces went the same way. Sometimes an even competition, sometimes one runs away with it. Seems that the number of wall pieces built are counter to the number of trade spaces built on.

Personally, we both like it. A Teuber game with some teeth.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your reply Jeff. How would you compare this game
to other Settlers games and is there a lot of interaction in the game?
(From what I have read the interaction comes from being able to mess with your opponents plans but can you make deals like I won't mess with your A if you don't mess with my B?

Sounds from your review that the game is different everytime you play it, huh?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Howard

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
Great reply Jeff. Good to hear the game attempts to strike a balance.

My wife and I dig strategic 'take that' games when the little one goes to bed (current fav. is Carc: The City but we just got Tigris and Euphrat). Anyone else have a two player session report (I know it's not released in the states yet, but I'm a patient man).

The reviewers either didn't have a chance to play it only with 2 or neglected to thoroughly play/comment on the scalability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear more opinions on how Elasund works two player. Settlers just isn't much fun with 2, but from what I know about this game it seems it could work quite well with 2. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two-player Elasund twice, and from what I can see it scales quite well.
It's easier to gain some points from mills, as there are more per player then with more players involved, thus shortening the game a bit.
You'll not get screwed just as often with only two players, so it's a bit easier to play one's game instead of the other players'. But with the amount of luck involved in this game (dice rolls and card draws, no trading) that doesn't matter all that much.

All in all I'd say, it's as much fun with two players as it is with four - just how much fun that is every one must decide for him-/herself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stohlmann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I just opened my copy for the first time and played with only 2 players and we both had a great time. I think one of the most interesting things about this is that it really felt like it could have gone either way throughout most of the game, though due to _very_ fortuitous placement of the church I ended up winning by a fair margin.

Unlike a lot of the other Catan games though, this one is very directly competitive which some people are going to like more than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the chance to play a few 2 player games now - very enjoyable, though it also carries a potential for a runaway leader more than the 3 and 4 player games do. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it 3 times in one night with my wife. She won only once. She said she really liked it, but it just wasn't going her way....Then she got a strategy, and that was that. I haven't won in a while now. I've played with 4 and 2 = 4 plays about the same as 4 except for the "stop the leader" which comes out in spades in the 4 player. Personally, I have liked the 2 player more than the 4 player. Maybe the sweet spot is 3 - I'll let you know when I can't find a 4th, which is difficult for this game. Just setting it up at the flgs and the players come out of the woodwork to get in on a game. I had to bow out more than once just to let someone else have a go at it. And they want to play about 2 times each first outing, so I have a feeling they figure out the strategy and want to try it on a "real" game of it. This game doesn't have the screw you over factor as much as others say. The game usually gives you a whole turn to play against those screwing your plans. I was surprised at this game since I haven't liked much of the catan stuff lately. This is a keeper. Now, just put an easy auction for turn order equaling costs for marker/tile placements, and voila! you will have New Englasund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Phaneuf
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have play 2 games with 4 players and 1 game with 2. With 2 players the game is very good and very quick. It's always direct confrontation with the other player : each time you destroy one its building with one of yours the advantage is twice as big : +1 for you, -1 for your opponent. I found that both configuration are equally good. With 4 players there is plenty of nastiness but usually not always against the same player. With 2 it's a real one on one confrontation!

One of the best game I've played in years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mackay
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
Played it many times now, almost exclusively as a 2 player game, and I can tell you definitively that you won't be disappointed with it compared to playing it 3 or 4 players. It's my favorite, most played, game right now and I pretty much only get to play boardgames with my GF. Most games I buy get played 2 or 3 times at most, then get put away for one reason or another. This one hasn't yet. Even after nearly 2 dozen plays about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.