Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Whilst looking for trades I came upon Löwenherz, which I had been reading a few comments of here and there, but this time I decided to stop and take a good look. The design really interests me, and there are a lot of good comments about it and it's redevelopment (Domaine), and both designs look very good, but in different ways.

I was just wondering if anyone who's tried both versions can shed some light on any major differences between the two, as far as the feel of the game, duration, backstabbiness, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey, and does anybody know a particularly good three player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roujin27 wrote:
Whilst looking for trades I came upon Löwenherz, which I had been reading a few comments of here and there, but this time I decided to stop and take a good look. The design really interests me, and there are a lot of good comments about it and it's redevelopment (Domaine), and both designs look very good, but in different ways.

I was just wondering if anyone who's tried both versions can shed some light on any major differences between the two, as far as the feel of the game, duration, backstabbiness, etc...

There have been numerous comment on this subject on the Geek, some by me. I am solidly in the Domaine camp, but I will try to describe the differences, as I did enjoy Lowenherz before Domaine came out.

The major difference is in how player get the ability to perform actions. In L, a card showing 3 actions is displayed, and each player in turn decides with of the three he wants to do. If two players want the same action, which will happen all the time in a 4 player game, they may negotiate a payoff. If they cannot agree, or more players want the action, there is a blind bid for the action.

In D each player has a hand of action cards. On his turn, he may either pay to play one of them, or may sell the card to the board to raise cash. After that he may refresh his hand from the draw pile, or take one from the board, but not the one he just sold.

The reason I prefer D to L is the downtime for the other players during the negotiation, and a general dislike for blind bidding. these are replaced in D with a strategic mechanic that I prefer.

There are other differences, but that is the main one, and the main one for my preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
If price is any consideration ebay has Lowenherz for cheap. Several Canadian sellers seem to have an unlimited supply. I got mine for $7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose Löwenherz just a few days ago - mainly because a). the last copy in the country for sale was available and b). regardless of comparisons, L is said to be a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domaine is OK, but simpler and less rich than Lowenherz, imho. I've played both, and to me Domaine feels like Lowenherz with all the best parts removed. That said, Lowenherz is a great game, and even with all the best parts removed, Domaine is still a pretty good game. Buy whichever sounds best to you and enjoy it.

For direct differences: Lowenherz has conflict in the selection of actions and conflict on the board. Domaine only has conflict on the board. Lowenherz takes slightly longer to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.