Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Curtis
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son asked for and received War of the Ring for Chistmas. This was one game that he was willing to put aside the Xbox 360 for and play (he's 15). That doesn't mean he was willing to read the rules though, so I had the difficult task of reading through the rules once and then trying to explain the game. While the game is not too difficult there are still lots of little rules that are easy to overlook. I need to reread the rules now that we have played once and see what we misplayed. We caught a couple of mistakes as we played. Primarily we missed adding action dice when the Shadow characters joined the game and when Gandalf the Grey became Gandalf the White.

Ricky took the Shadow forces and I played the Free People. Preferring direct force to the suttleties of the hunt, Ricky decided early on to go for a military victory. This really put the pressure on me to get my nations to war status so I could reinforce the targeted Strongholds. It seemed a bit odd that a nation under direct assault by Shadow forces could not use a muster die to get reinforcements but this allowed the shadow forces to quickly take a Western Forest stronghold. However, an early siege at Minas Tirith failed as I was able to use a card to reinforce it before the siege began. Ricky helped a bit by activating the Witch King early moving all my armies to active status. Things got even better when witch king died during the first attack on Minas Tirith when I damned the odds and rolled 4 sixes, killing his entire army in one round. This was Ricky's introduction to the rule that leaders die in combat if all troops die.

I just could not roll enough character action dies to do everything I wanted to do and keep the fellowship moving along. There were several turns when no character die came up and Will of the West were also rare. I seemed to roll many musters, which did help advance the free nations down the policital track.

By the time Ricky had a successful hunt the fellowship made it to Lorien and only had one corrupt point. At that point I split off Gandalf and Boromir. I had two Ent action cards as was anxious to get Gandalf to his white phase so I could use them to hopefully kill some shadow troops in Orthanc. Unfortunately, the shadow forces had been busy and Dol Amroth had also fallen as well as a Gondor city. Helms Deep was also being whittled down as Ricky seemed to always have a combat card adding one to his combat roll, negating the advantage of the strongholds.

With Helms Deep in Shadow control and two more strongholds under siege, I only had the fellowship to Minas Tirith. I decided I had also better go for a military victory since the free people only need 4 points and he had left a couple of Shadow strongholds with just once regular unit as a garrison. Unfortunately, it would take two or three movements to get my forces into position to attack. Obviously he saw me coming and reinforced is strongholds with elite units. Since my Ents had reduced Orthanc a bit I nearly had that one, I just needed one more six. but alas the Shadow sieges succeeded with the fellowship still two moved from Mordor.

All in all we had a lot of fun, although I was disappointed I did not get the fellowship into Mordor so we could see how those rules worked, but I do not think it will be long before we play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sons and the SAS
jcurtis55 wrote:
My son asked for and received War of the Ring for Chistmas. This was one game that he was willing to put aside the Xbox 360 for and play (he's 15).

I have five sons and Staring at Screens (SAS) occupies quite a bit of their time too - but the oldest three, aged 12 to 19, all love War of the Ring and are almost always up for a game of it.

Have you played again since?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Curtis
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have not had an opporunity to play again, but I am sure we will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.