Kung Fu Fighting» Forums » Rules

Subject: Umbrella vs. Throw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Gornstein
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
If i have an umbrella in play as my weapon, and my opponent attacks me with a throw, can i discard the umbrella to ignore the attack, or does the throw discard the umbrella before i can use it.

Based on the timing flowchart on the last page of the rules, i would think that using the "ignore" ability of the umbrella would come during step 1, making attacks and blocks (not step 4, calculating defense). On the other hand, the spirit of the rules seems to imply that weapons should be generally useless against throws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
The card states "you may discard it to ignore the effects of one Attack". As a high defence weapon I would say it ignores the Throw before any damage is dealt.

I think this is probably the only weapon card in the deck that a throw can be blocked with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
You can discard it to block the throw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bushong
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rise from your grave, or Necrotic thread. Rise, and be answered...

Yes, the umbrella can be used to ignore the attack. If you use an effect to ignore the attack, it is as though the attack never happened (although it has happened, so the active player cannot make another attack). Since the attack never happened, the effect of the attack cannot happen.

EXAMPLE: If you have a weapon in play, and you opponent plays a throw, and you respond by playing a "Your Kung Fu is Weak", then you don't discard the weapon, right? Likewise, discarding the umbrella is an activated ability that has the same effect as "Your Kung Fu is Weak." The activation of the umbrella happens well before the effect of the throw can take place, so the throw never resolves.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.