Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing this game with my wife, we have the question regarding the "downed" result from the little black die. Does this mean that the ball was downed in the end zone regardless of the distance on the two black die, resulting in the ball being placed on the 20? Or is the result the same as a fair catch or no return, and only counts for a stat.

edit.. ok.. I was looking at the short punt section instead of the normal punt.. However.. here is my revised question..

ok, lets say that I am backed into my endzone, and I select "short punt", but roll a 4, 5 or 6 on the small back die. That comes out as "downed".. is that downed in the endzone, resuting in the ball being spotted at the 20? If so, that could be a cheap way to get a lot of yardage on a so-called "short punt" as you have a 50% chance of booting it on the play. So again, what is the difference between "no return" "fair catch" and "downed"?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that it is down at the spot it hits the field. If it was blocked in your endzone, it would not be a touchback. I believe there is no mechanical difference between the three results, just flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The result is essentially a "0" return or No Return after the ball travels as indicated by the distance indicated by the 2 (larger) black dice. If that distance in in the endzone - then a touchback out to the 20.

So looking at your edit - the ball would travel the yardage indicated on the 2 black dice. If the 2 larger black die indicated a 7, the ball would travel 20 yards + 3 bonus dice. (If you had selected a normal punt - it would have been 30 yards + 3 bonus dice - much better if you are backed up to your own endzone).

So, yes the result is the same as No Return or Fair Catch - but adds a bit of flavour for stats and commentary.

PS - A short punt would be used when you are close to the opposing endzone, but too far to kick a field goal, so you attempt a squib kick to move the ball to (hopefully) between the goal-line and the 20 leaving the opposition with more than 80 yards to drive down the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick clarifications!

however.. my wife wiped the field with me (20-0) using Green Bay nonetheless (I played Seattle).. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The replies here have done well to answer your question. I will only add in summary:

The fair catch gives the returning team an option (whether or not to let the punt bounce [B][B] toward the end zone). The others do not and the ball stops at the end of the kick.

Downed - no chance for return, ball stopped at end of distance roll (credit to the punt coverage team)

No return - also no chance for return, equivalent to a ball kicked out of bounds (credit / discredit to the punter)

Fair catch - no chance for return, but returning team may opt to let punt bounce [B][B] yards (in hopes of the punt traveling into the endzone for a touchback).

All the best,

Erik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
And as Erik is still missing his "Game Designer" badge - just wanted to point out that Erik is the game's designer/maker ... so you have the official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eriksmith wrote:
The replies here have done well to answer your question. I will only add in summary:

The fair catch gives the returning team an option (whether or not to let the punt bounce [B][B] toward the end zone). The others do not and the ball stops at the end of the kick.

Downed - no chance for return, ball stopped at end of distance roll (credit to the punt coverage team)

No return - also no chance for return, equivalent to a ball kicked out of bounds (credit / discredit to the punter)

Fair catch - no chance for return, but returning team may opt to let punt bounce [B][B] yards (in hopes of the punt traveling into the endzone for a touchback).

All the best,

Erik

Well that answer clearly all my questions about returns and bounce.
You should have writed this in the rules because it was a little confusing, especially the "No return" and "Downed" entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.