Popular Tags: [View All]
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy of LOTR:TCDE yesterday. It comes in a big square box, about the same size of Beowulf or Arkham Horror.

Talk about wasted space and bad interior box design! Yeesh! Two insert boxes to hold the pieces and a small indentation to hold the cards. Absolutely no place to put the character counters. I'm not referring to the character "cards" which slide into the plastic pieces. No, I'm referring to smaller character counters. I haven't read the rules and figured out what they are actually for yet, but there's no place in the box to store them after you've punched them out. Oh, it's not a big deal, put them in a zip lock back and they'll sit on top of the box insert, but my point is that the counters weren't taken into consideration when the box insert was designed.

The cover art is nice, but really the box is too big! There's a lot of "dead space" in the interior of the box. Who ever designed the box interior could easily included additional space for extra storage. There's plenty of room in there. But no, they somehow managed to come up with what is very likely the worst interior design they could have come up with.

Not that it's a big deal. The game will be fine, I'm sure. I was just very surprised by how inferior the interior box design is and how "cheap" it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow ... this doesn't sound very promising.

I imagine the counters may do the same job as the Citadels counters, which I still haven't punched out

That is ... to remind your opponent which of your characters are in play.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
I imagine the counters may do the same job as the Citadels counters, which I still haven't punched out

That is ... to remind your opponent which of your characters are in play.

I read through the rules last night and you are correct. That is the purpose of the counters. Doesn't sound very useful. I guess there was some room left over on the cardboard sheet...

Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the game itself. (The new characters look really interesting and their use could really add some variety to the game.) I'm just saying there's no obvious storage location for the character counters.

-- Kimbo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just throw out the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Are the cards (not characters) the same?

Could they release an upgrade to the original with the additional characters pasted on the back of the originals?

New characters paste-ups seem morally wrong, but somewhat tempting, given that the original's portability is part of its charm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
sisteray wrote:

Well sort of . . . the insert is two boxes glued to the bottom of the box with a tray overtop. ( the insert is cardboard, not plastic) The box is way too big, I don;t even thing that the board is as bog a the box when folded up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

Could they release an upgrade to the original with the additional characters pasted on the back of the originals?

New characters paste-ups seem morally wrong, but somewhat tempting, given that the original's portability is part of its charm.

What? I don't understand. This game pretty much is the original, with additional characters pasted to the back.
If you mean 'It's wrong for the company to try to re-release a game with only minor improvement', then don't buy it. Vote with your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

The "form factor" of the character cards has changed in the new edition. The character cards are now in a vertical orientation as opposed to the horizontal orientation of the original. The character cards are also larger in the new edition than in the original edition.

I suppose FFG could release a set of "upgraded" character cards for the original game, but doing so would certainly cut into sales of the new edition, so I would think an "upgrade" kit is unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chemist wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Well sort of . . . the insert is two boxes glued to the bottom of the box with a tray overtop. ( the insert is cardboard, not plastic) The box is way too big, I don;t even thing that the board is as bog a the box when folded up.

I thought about throwing out the insert or just reversing it, but then ran into the issue mentioned by "chemist", namely the cheap little boxes used to hold the plastic character stands are glued to the bottom of the box! I didn't want to yank them out of the box as I was afraid of doing damage to the box or damaging the cheap boxes themselves in the process.

And yes, while the board is bigger than the original board, it is still considerably smaller than the box itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote about this in my SR (posted three days ago, but still not approved by admins apparently). I'm not at all thrilled with the pointless box size. I'll be bagging the chips in any case, but when you have so much dead space, why not a little slot for them? Also, the card well is too shallow; the cards will need to be bound or the top several may slip out and slide about; binding is not ideal, as you risk marking them in some fashion, but that's also true if they slip out and get scuffed or dinged by the map slipping about. This box is far from ideal. Coupled with some other usability issues, and the potential for marked stands (this time not on the back of the stand, but on the sides, where the molds come together), this doesn't quite measure up to its name.

I'm sure the box issue basically just boiled down to not wanting to introduce a new size in the mix. FFG/Kosmos uses thicker Silver boxes (the new Through the Desert), the small square (as in original LOTR:C and Wings of War), and the big square (Game of Thrones, etc.). This new edition seems to require depth (the stands are pretty large, but do they need to stand on edge?), but the map isn't all that big (nor does it need to be). It seems like it could've fit into the thicker Silver box with some creativity. But then it wouldn't be able to easily support the $40 (or is it $42?) MSRP.

Oh, well. They had me at "hello" on this one. And the new variant characters are fun and very different from the classic ones, so I'm going to enjoy the game. But...far from ideal, even if you're a big fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw away the box and place the contents in another FFG game box (Runebound, Game of Thrones, ...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Throw away the box and place the contents in another FFG game box (Runebound, Game of Thrones, ...).

But that's the same box size. I'd like to fit it all into something akin to a Captain Clever/Igloo Pop sized box, but those might be *just* barely too small. Close, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I saw it in the store yesterday. I think I'm going to pass, given the info in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have the original, I wouldn't pass on the Deluxe version just because of the box. It's a great 2-player strategy game, and the extra characters will only extend its playability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Waddington wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

But that's the same box size.

Exactly! 2 games in 1 box! And since it will be an FFG box it will be easier to remember that it also contains LOTR: Confrontation Deluxe.

I place two 2-player games of the same line in one box (example Kahuna - Babel). Easier to fit and easier to remember!

(But of course i also use a database to keep track of where my games are)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
GeoMan wrote:
Jon Waddington wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

But that's the same box size.

Exactly! 2 games in 1 box! And since it will be an FFG box it will be easier to remember that it also contains LOTR: Confrontation Deluxe.

I place two 2-player games of the same line in one box (example Kahuna - Babel). Easier to fit and easier to remember!

(But of course i also use a database to keep track of where my games are)

Do you geocache your games or something? Just kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

Ah, I see. We're coming at this very differently. LOTR:C is a great little game I often took to work for lunchtime gaming, or tucked into the larger box for a game night in case I got there early or stayed late. Neither will happen with this new box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the contents of Deluxe fit back into the very portable original edition box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Would the contents of Deluxe fit back into the very portable original edition box?

No, not really. I just tried it, and though it's close, you'd have to (a) use the old map, (b) ditch or fold the new rules and player aid sheets, and (c) really go crazy with your tetris skilz to get the pieces to fit (they sort of do, but poke just above the top). And really, you want the larger map for the larger pieces, and I'm pretty sure something would get damaged quickly trying this. So no go for me.

A better fit would be the I'm the Boss box, or (oddly) Milton Bradley's square boxes, the ones for Twister and the like. Those are just a bit too big, but you still have the issue of the huge rules and aids. I tried Igloo Pop, but the map is about a centimeter too big. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Bugger. I'm starting to wonder if this is the auto-purchase I thought it was. I wonder if I can tuck it into my LOTR (cooperative) box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
I wonder if I can tuck it into my LOTR (cooperative) box.

If you've taken out the insert, then I'm sure this can be done, even with all LOTR expansions (which all fit even with the insert, so...). No worries on that front, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rodenbeck
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
I often place two games in a single box to save space, particularly if one is an expansion of the other.

For example, I can fit the entire Age of Mythology box inside my Twilight Imperium box along with all the TI3 pieces and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The insert is horrible. gulp Worst one I ever seen. After each games, while replacing the pieces, I used to look at it with disgust, until I finally got rid of it. I used the Memoir 44 insert (it's the same size; and there is no place for it in the box since I got the expansions), and I modified the hex space to fit the cards. The tokens go in the original card space and the character stands fit perfectly in the 2 army spaces. Furthermore, the folded Confrontation board is almost the same size as the M44 one. A match made in heaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is way too big for the game. A better size box would have been those used for the LoTR ( Cooperative ) expansions. This box is twice the height it needs to be.

The game itself is really quite good. Takes few plays before you realise how balanced the game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.