Subject: Is Age Of Steam A Lot Like Ticket To Ride? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
I have a very small game collection, and am looking to add more. I was thinking of Age of Steam, but is it very similar to Ticket To Ride (which I already have)?
Please give specific details!
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find them sufficiently different from one another to justify owning both.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Zach,

Age of Steam is substantially different from Ticket to Ride. In fact, I would say their only significant similarity is in their theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only similarity is the theme.

Age of Steam is a heavy, strategic, brainburning, hard-core gamer sort of game; Ticket to Ride is an accessible, gateway game that can be learned in five minutes and played with any of your friends.

I love both games but for very different reasons. Depending on what you're looking for would be whether you'd either or both.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't yet have much information on your profile so I can't judge your tastes but you might also consider Railroad Tycoon. It is between TtR and AoS (being significantly closer to AoS).

This next purchase you are considering will be an important one, you have to ask yourself what kind of game do you like (brainburning and unforgiving?) and who your fellow players are. How important are a games bits to you?

There is plenty of material to read on both AoS and RT on this site including articles comparing and contrasting the two (sometimes with quite a bit of passion). I suggest you do some research before deciding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection that you have in your profile, AoS would be up there with the heaviest of what you currently have. (With Puerto Rico and Caylus) In fact, FWIW, it is weighs in heavier then those two, here on the geek.

If you haven't had the opportunity to play Power Grid, see if you can play a game of that before you purchase anything. (You could even play on BSW if you are up for it.) I mention Power Grid because it has a very similar feel, in my opinion. My comparison comes from the way you have limited funds and need to carefully balance your spending across several acquisitions during a round.

BTW, if you don't like the scoring in Carcassonne, as you mentioned in your comment, you could try Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. The scoring is more straightforward. Also, rate your games so we can tell what you like. It's just an opinion that *can* change after all. I guess we can always use more opinions around here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarities:

They both have a map of the US as a playing board.
They both involve trains connecting cities.
They are both games.

Differences

Players build track in AoS with money.
Once players connect cities in AoS they have to move freight cubes between them to score points.
Players bid on turn order and the right to choose a privilege.
Players have a sophisticated financial system that pays out every turn also requires you to pay stockholders, maintain your trains, and pay taxes.
AoS takes at least twice as long to play.

In terms of overall play & theme, Ticket to Ride doesn't really have to be about trains and it would still work. As much as I like playing it, it's just a really fancy rummy variant. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine Age of Steam being about anything else other than trains when you consider the mechanics of game play

So they are both good in their own way, for different audiences and they are not at all similar.

Just don't ask about comparing Age of Steam to Railroad Tycoon unless you want to see pointless opinion-war erupt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is NOT a train game. It is a set collecting and connection game. Its theme is pasted on. It doesn't make TTR a bad game--I enjoy it. But it is not really a railroad game.

Age of Steam models railroad operations. The reasons why a game is railroad games. one that isn't is why you do various actions: In a true RR game (like AoS), you build track to particular cities because it will generate more income for you, which then use to invest in more track or faster/larger trains to make more money, and so on.

Age of Steam is a particularly tight game with cash--you have know how much you are going to spend (both in track, engine cost, turn order bid and interest you have to pay) and how much you are going to make. You have to account for every dollar coming in and going out.

In TTR, it either doesn't matter where you build (because you score points simply for building the track) or you build a piece of track because you have voices in your head (represented on the ticket cards) saying you must connect two particular cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Age of Steam models railroad operations.

Not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
Thanks, I rated all of my games (at least the ones I have played)
Now my question is.....do I get Railroad Tycoon or AoS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFreshPrince wrote:
Thanks, I rated all of my games (at least the ones I have played)
Now my question is.....do I get Railroad Tycoon or AoS?

Great, rating your games helps. I have never played AoS so I can't really compare the two. I'm sure many people will disagree with me but I heartily recommend RT for you. It is about the same weight as Tikal and PR, it plays in about the same time as Tikal (if you are using the auction varient in that game). And the bits are fantastic (barring a few production snafu's involving the board, you should read up on those before buying to make sure you know what you're getting and are ok with that). The sweet spot for RT is probably 4 and 5 players but it still works very well with other numbers. I was not expecting much from the two player game so I've been really impressed with how much we've enjoyed it at that number. You will have absolutely no problem getting people to play RT and it is a game that they will instantly take to and want more of. There's a risk that AoS will be harder to get to and keep at the table.

That's my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
What happened to all of the reviews of Railroad Tycoon.....it doesn't show that there are any

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Ticket to Ride is NOT a train game. It is a set collecting and connection game. Its theme is pasted on. It doesn't make TTR a bad game--I enjoy it. But it is not really a railroad game.

Geez, I get tired of this line of thinking. I just don't understand it, at all. Yes, some games with a particular theme aren't necessarily going to be huge brain-burning simulations of historical importance. But, what does it matter? Because the mechanics aren't up to your standards, it no longer qualifies as a certain type of game? Or, if every single process or characteristic of a given theme is not represented by gameplay, the theme is now just "pasted on"?

I've heard the same argument about Union Pacific, and it just doesn't make sense. My wife's family has worked on the railroad for generations, so we're big on trains. I know Union Pacific doesn't model every aspect of running a railroad and is really just a stock trading game (and I know TtR does even less) but the theme still works, and it *is* a railroad game. And, we really enjoy it. I'm glad there are games with more detail about trains out there, but they don't take anything away from Union Pacific.

I'm probably not really doing a very good job of explaining myself, but I think there's a lot of casual elitism that goes around here, and it'd be a shame if someone passed up on a game because of it. (Not that that's really a concern here--he already *has* TtR )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFreshPrince wrote:
What happened to all of the reviews of Railroad Tycoon.....it doesn't show that there are any

I can't see the forums either right now, probably a temporary bug. The reviews are still in the database though. Here is Tom Vasel's

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/739510#739510

You should check out the other reviews though. One of them has a big argument about AoS vs. RT but I don't remember the name of the reviewer. Also check out the articles discussing component quality to learn about board warp and city color issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think there's a lot of casual elitism that goes around here, and it'd be a shame if someone passed up on a game because of it.

Maybe. But then, when someone says...

Quote:
Ticket to Ride doesn't really have to be about trains and it would still work. As much as I like playing it, it's just a really fancy rummy variant.

...one should consider that there is a mechanic, however enjoyable, that is not in any real way tied to the subject matter.

Maybe that doesn't matter. But if it does matter to someone, it's generally a good thing to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
rri1 wrote:

Geez, I get tired of this line of thinking. I just don't understand it, at all. Yes, some games with a particular theme aren't necessarily going to be huge brain-burning simulations of historical importance. But, what does it matter? Because the mechanics aren't up to your standards, it no longer qualifies as a certain type of game? Or, if every single process or characteristic of a given theme is not represented by gameplay, the theme is now just "pasted on"?

I've heard the same argument about Union Pacific, and it just doesn't make sense. My wife's family has worked on the railroad for generations, so we're big on trains. I know Union Pacific doesn't model every aspect of running a railroad and is really just a stock trading game (and I know TtR does even less) but the theme still works, and it *is* a railroad game. And, we really enjoy it. I'm glad there are games with more detail about trains out there, but they don't take anything away from Union Pacific.

I'm probably not really doing a very good job of explaining myself, but I think there's a lot of casual elitism that goes around here, and it'd be a shame if someone passed up on a game because of it. (Not that that's really a concern here--he already *has* TtR )

I've actually noticed that a lot on these forums... People around here tend to say train games when they actually mean railroad simulation games... I like train games, whether they be TtR, AoS, UP, Hell Rail or Empire Bulider... They are all train game... They are not all railroad simulation games...

Going back to the original poster... AoS is a much heavier game than TtR... Both are very good in my opinion... I have not played RRT yet, so I cannot formulate an opinion on that one... I have read that it is a lighter game than AoS, and want very much to get my hands on a copy, but that will have to wait until my hubby goes back to work FT...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard (rri1) can be counted on to step into any discussion of train games with his definition of "train game" == "railroad simulation." It doesn't stop the rest of us from continuing to talk about train games (including TtR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TTR Sucks
AoS Rocks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like comparing apples and oranges. Completely different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Their only similarities are the themes and that both rate a 9/10 in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Richard (rri1) can be counted on to step into any discussion of train games with his definition of "train game" == "railroad simulation." It doesn't stop the rest of us from continuing to talk about train games (including TtR).

I keep up with most of the train related game discussions also, so I do see his discussions quite a bit, but I felt like putting my 2 in... Hubby is a rail fan, so we tend to buy almost any train related game that we can get our hands on... 1830 is one of the few that we really want that we have not gotten our hands on yet... To expensive for us to afford right now... eventually though, we will, and we just haven't gotten around to buying RRT... I had to put my opinion in here for once though... just to make myself feel better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.