Subject: The Last Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
I noticed that the last card of the draw pile is useless as after drawing that card nothing else can be done, and the game ends there. Why not turn that card face up and crosswise under the draw pile and put it to good use, so both players can see it adding a little bit of information at the beginning of the game. This could add more spice to the strategies of the game, and would represent that extra little bit of information that explorers have before they start their expedition. I'm planning to give it a try in my next sessions. Any comments? Enjoy the new BGG.

Note:
This thread was posted in the wrong game forum and was deleted and re-posted with the right game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
A person that commented on this variant in the previous post wrote that he was going to try it. Please feel free to post here the results of your session.

Other options are possible with this variant, for example; like the first player to start an expedition on the color of the upcard has the option of exchanging a card in his hand for that card as long as it is of the same color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say the last card is useless. It's just a mystery card. "Why can't I get the white 10? I hope it's not that last card..."

Also note that the second to last card is essentially the same as the last. That is, in a game between players who know what they are doing, neither of the two last cards will ever get played. They are both the two mystery "dead cards" of the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why stop there? The penultimate card is quite often useless too

If I draw the penultimate card and my opponent draws the final card, it is useless. My opponent decides if it has any value or not by deciding whether or not to take a discard (assuming that any are available) or by taking the last card.

What we do is take the last ten cards, leaving them face down, and turn them perpendicular to the rest of the deck so we have an idea of how close to the end we are without having to count the cards.

[William posted his response whilst I was typing mine, thus the similarity of ideas - I must have taken a while typing since he beat my by three minutes]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Revealing that card seems like an unneeded aid to both players. A lot of times you've played, say, the investor card and a 2, but are waiting for a 3 before laying down the 4. Knowing the 3 is out of the game would remove that tension between waiting and plunging into an expedition.

Try it and see if you like it, but I won't be adopting this variant. I prefer to avoid excessive min-maxing in games, so leaving the cards unknown until they're drawn works best for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I was under the impression that so long as there were discarded cards to draw, then there were still cards to take. Maybe I'm misinformed ... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The hand ends the instant the last card is taken from the draw pile. You can't possibly play it, because the moment you have lifted it from the (now empty) pile, the hand is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.