Popular Tags: [View All]
J
Canada
Slave Lake
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this game, but I know I'd never get to play it with 4 or 5 people. It'd mostly be 2-player, maybe sometimes 3. How is it at that range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
2-player Hacienda will seem very much like a multi-player solitaire game if not played aggressively.

Go ahead and be nasty... take as many of your heard of cattle to the very same market your opponent just reached and do your best to prevent him from further tile placement by consuming more for your own. Mwha, ha, ha, ha, haaaa.

We thoroughly enjoy Hacienda as a 2-player game.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dworak
United States
Latham
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a three player game of it last night and we all had a lot of fun with it. The board is more open and so the scores are higher, and there's somewhat less competition. But like the previous poster, I try to purposely compete for resources with the other players. If nothing else, it prevents runaway leaders.

I'm also thinking the asymmetrical side of the board may play better with only 2 players. I could be totally wrong though, since thise was our first game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Somerstein
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played twice so far. Once with 5 people and the second time with 4. With 4 there was much less pressure for space on the board. I definitely liked it better as a 5 player game due to this.

I imagine that with only 2 or 3 people there would be even less competition and the game just wouldn't be as satisfying. As someone else noted, it would essentially be multi-player solitaire. A big part of this game for me is the competition for space between players. There would be much better game choices if this wasn't present.

Now, all of that being said there may be an option to make it a fun game. It would take some work, though. There is a map generator for the game that you can download. You could create a smaller board which would allow the game to be tuned for fewer players. I'm sure that a lot of people would like to have more play options anyway. So go for it.

-Rodney

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.