Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, seeing as I was the last one to post a session report on UP, time to put up another. UP still going strong with my group with now over 50 plays.

Justin, Leigh, and Greg are still the usual players (still can't convince the wife to play yet.) Despite getting smoked in the 1st game, I decided one more was in order before calling it a night.

Intitial lay of stock have Justin and Leigh both playing green while I went for white (with another white still in my hand.) 1st dividend comes up pretty early with everybody within a few million of each other, despite a purple monopoly by Justin.

Justin goes for an all out blitz on purple, playing purple trains on 12 (!!!) consecutive turns. In the meantime, Leigh and Greg had a spitting contest on 5 other colors, with neither really coming out ahead. I decide to go with my typical strategy of securing purple, yellow, or black by playing a large amount of black trains. Leigh decides to make green her horse, but finds she can only play in the Northwest as white and purple have effectivly blocked out green in the south. I was not about to let green get out of control so I played black and red to keep her blocked in up north.

Little did I know however that this would backfire as once Justin finished up purple, he set out for red. He had amassed 5 red stock in his hand to blow past my 2. In addition, I was able to draw a long strong of green which suddenly made it much more appealing. Had to re-focus my strategy.

The second and third dividends were close in proximity. By the end of the 3rd dividend I was down 10 million to Leigh and another 7 million to Justin. I had come back from this far before, but it was going to be an up hill battle since I was pretty much a lock for last place in UP and was quickly exhausting trains on my big railroads.

Leigh had pretty much locked up the smaller routes but didn't have a stake in the large routes (except green) so I had to focus in on Justin. I was able to wrestle purple away with a 3-2 advantage from him, but amazingly over the next 5 rounds 2 purples came up on the "flop" and he drew another off the deck. I drew one more, but it wasn't enough.

I concentrated on forcing at least ties on everything I shared with Justin. Leigh helped out by getting a tie on UP and red with Justin. At the end of the game I made a power move to get white from Justin (which I had been tied with him on.)

I felt pretty confident going into the final dividend. I had controlling in green, white, and black (14, 7, and all trains out respectivly) and 2nd in purple (worth 7,) orange (worth 5), and tied with Justin for the lead in yellow (worth 6.) My biggest weekness...UP, I was dead last.

It wasn't enough, although I made up some huge ground:

Justin: 161
Greg: 155
Leigh: 142

Great game that game down to a single purple stock that could have made the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.