Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll be spending the day in Lille on 20 January and visiting a games shop there. I'd be interested to pick up one or two French games and would be grateful for some recommendations.

My taste in games takes in mainstream Euros, abstracts and card games. I read French reasonably well and would be able to translate rules. French text on game components - apart from names of things - I would be less happy about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamba (2 player abstract)

Fils de Samarande (card game - multiplayer)

Drôles de Zèbres (2 player)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be disqualified on French-text on the cards grounds, but check out Shazamm! here on the Geek. My guess is that our French isn't nearly as good as yours, but for a variety of reasons (the cards are few enough (and numbered), the illustrations are evocative, the text is full of English cognates, and there's a superb English-language players aide and rule set available here), translation hasn't proven much of an issue for us during play. My then-7 year old quickly memorized all the cards and their functions. It's a fun, tricky game in which wizards' simultaneously hurl curses at each other. Nice mix of logic and psychology. Two players only.

Coming from the US, if I were going to a game store in France, I'd also look for Asmodee expansions (e.g. Jungle Speed, maybe Dungeon Twister) that aren't available here yet and for OOP German games (which some of the French online retailers seem to have in stock long after the German online retailers run out). But I'm guessing that you probably have access to that stuff already in England.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Medici - nice board with circular track and towers (the US remake will not have this look, apparently)

Jungle Speed L'expansion &/or Jungle Speed: Flower Power - If you like the original, the expansions are hard to find here, but easy where Asmodee is more extensively distributed.

Before lugging stuff back, check out levalet.com ($5 fixed postage!) or other Canadian vendors to make sure you don't lug games back only to find you could have gotten them from Canada.

There was a geeklist on this topic a while ago (look for the Geeklists under Shazamm! - a game I like, but don't play enough).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. The reminder about the nice French edition of Medici is particularly welcome.

I do own Jungle Speed but have a hard time getting it to the table because people dismiss it as a Snap variant. Do the expansions add anything other than harder to recognise matches?

It's true about the out of print German games. I was very happy to find the Alea edition of Taj Mahal on my last visit.

As I live in England, I'm not too worried about hauling a couple of games home on the Eurostar (I should have known that the little flag icon would have its uses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Spontelli
United States
MANSFIELD
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/dfwgames/
badge
Okay, let's start the meeting. My name is Ken, and I'm a Tichu addict.
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Medici - nice board with circular track and towers (the US remake will not have this look, apparently)

I'll second Medici. I have seen many of the versions of Medici and the French one is the very best. There is not any other version of the game that is even close to being as nice. The non-French versions all seem to have boards that are difficult to use; related to which goods match up with which scoring column.

I don't currently own Medici but, if I could get my hands on the French version, I would buy it immediately.

FRENCH VERSION'S BOARD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask if they have any games unique to France. It's a great chance to find obscure items you won't see here on the Geek.

Ask for any games by Sylvie Barc:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?designerid=557

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The other game I'm getting is Crazy Circus which mostly like a light version of Ricochet Robot.

I've seen and heard Crazy Circus in play in its earlier incarnation as Ma Ni Ki! The people playing it were having a great time, but it's the kind of logic puzzle that drives me nuts. Rather like Ricochet Robot in fact.

That Flower Power camper van looks very funky, but I do fear that any additions to Jungle Speed would be a case of good money after bad for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.