Subject: Personal gaming database? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the start of the new year, I feel that it is time to ramp up the obsession even further.

I was thinking of setting up a personal gaming database, perhaps in MS Access, for tracking not just numbers of games played (which I would still of course also do at the 'geek) but also info about who were playing, perhaps scores, time (and not just date) they were played, online/F2F gaming etc. Rather than re-inventing the wheel though, does anyone have a template database they would be willing to share please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can extract information about your collection from the geek as a CSV file. This will save you having to enter in all the game names and so on. I think however that the extract will include games on your wish/want list and also games you don't own but have commented on. I know from my previous experiemnts, that I've had to filter out the spare data.

It also gives all the alternate names, which get broken across several cells in your spreadsheet/db. So you still have to do a bit of work, depending on the size of your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using Filemaker. If you decide to use it, i can send you the template i use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an Access one that works relatively well. I'm not much of a database designer but it:

Keeps track of games
Players
Individual games, time, date, players and scores

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to calculate wins yet, so I've added a win category (1 for win, 0 for loss). It consequently allows for ties and teams (although I haven't figured out a way to denote teams). If you do a lot of team play, it may be best to come up with a whole new entry form for it.

I haven't gotten too much into the queries, but I do have one that outputs:
Game, Player, Wins, # of plays, Win/Play percentage (much lower than you'd think typically), Average score, High Score, Time played. It's pretty interesting.

I'm on vacation at the moment, but I'd be more than happy to e-mail it to you, or post it in the files section of the miscellaneous game parts listing if more than one person is interested.

Eventually, I want to change it over to an Open Office Database so that everyone can use it for free. I'm just having a little trouble with the 'not as friendly' interface at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually use MS Excel - and we track EVERYTHING - time the game takes, score, a multitude of statistics (ranging from simple wins to dominance in winning; % of players defeated, etc. etc.)

I'll be happy to share it with you -- regrettably, there's not a lot of instruction that I've developed for it...

Geo - I'm actually entertaining the thought of migrating everything INTO Filemaker -- since I actually know Filemaker better than Excel -- would you be able to shoot me a copy of what you have? I'd love to see if I could use it as a starting point.

My email addy is lemur@libogroup.com -- I'm also sending you a PM on the site. Thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Geo - I'm actually entertaining the thought of migrating everything INTO Filemaker -- since I actually know Filemaker better than Excel -- would you be able to shoot me a copy of what you have? I'd love to see if I could use it as a starting point.

I am using Filemaker for the last 20 years and it is one of the easiest database programs to use.

File sent! Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.
PMs sent.

Cheers,
Johan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I constructed a games database, for similar reasons as the ones you mention. But more importantly so that we could easily randomly select games to play for times when we want to play something but can't decide (there's just so much to pick from!)

It tracks the same sort of information as the geek does; For games, all designers, publishers, a list of categories, play time, number of players, a little blurb on what the game is about. It also tracks the BGG gameID, so that we can link out from anything that mentions the game in the local database directly to BGG's game page.

We also have session reporting, which includes each player, their score, who won, the date and time of the game (but not playtime, I never even thought of that, d'oh!)

And since the session reporting is tied in with the games and the players, For each player a complete list of played games is maintained, number of times won and lost, the percentage of wins/losses, the most recently won and lost game, and an overall percentage of how many games that player has won, of all games played.

The most important aspect to us the games filter, which takes the number of players to play a game, how long the game should be at a maximum, as well as optional lists of what categories and designers to pick from and which categories and designers NOT to pick from. So you can say, for example, "We want to play a 2 player card game not more than 30 minutes in length designed by anyone", and get a complete list.

The filter also has a randomizer that will randomly pick from the selected games a single game to play. This is customizable via a time interface to not pick the last N games played. Helps to make sure that we don't end up randomly playing the same game too many times in a row.

I made the database web based, since one of our computers runs linux and the other runs windows. The added benefit is that for planning game nights, people we play games with can access the database to browse our games, in case they want to request that we bring certain games with us, for example.

It's freely available on my website, but at the moment requires linux. Things should port fairly easily to windows, but I haven't done that yet, as it works fine for us currently, since we use a linux apache install locally for other stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan wrote:
Thanks for the input.
PMs sent.

Cheers,
Johan

File sent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.