Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to Game Groups, please could you move Europe out from being a subfolder of Canada, and create a proper Europe hierarchy - with individual subfolders for each country?

Game groups in the UK really don't have that much in common with game groups in France or Germany, and it seems strange to me that where the US, Canada and Australia are sensibly split by state, Europe is all mixed up in one folder.

Of course, this raises the issue on how the existing posts should be sorted, but you have solved similar problems before. You could either simply create a subfolder of Europe for "Old Posts", or split them by the country of the original poster.

Thanks

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
With regard to Game Groups, please could you move Europe out from being a subfolder of Canada, and create a proper Europe hierarchy - with individual subfolders for each country?

It would be really helpful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Young
United Kingdom
Feltham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
badge
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
mbmbmbmbmb
You have my full support on this proposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with this very sensible suggestion.

And, whilst we have your attention (Mr BGG official type bod) why not do ALL BGG Brits a favour and do away with the individual country flags. It'd make the search functions that much crisper to have just a *UK* location code.

Ta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TommieSL wrote:
And, whilst we have your attention (Mr BGG official type bod) why not do ALL BGG Brits a favour and do away with the individual country flags. It'd make the search functions that much crisper to have just a *UK* location code.

I agree entirely. Although it should also be noted that we could achieve the same end without the BGG Admins having to do anything - all it requires is for those folk currently using the individual country flags to stop using them, and use the union jack instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
I agree entirely. Although it should also be noted that we could achieve the same end without the BGG Admins having to do anything - all it requires is for those folk currently using the individual country flags to stop using them, and use the union jack instead.

Changed mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"One nation, under BGG..."

I'm not sure I've got that entirely right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ideogram wrote:
So if Canada is part of the U.S.

Don't get me started on that. GMT and UPS have conspired to mess with head spendidly today.

C&C: Ancients is in transit. (Yay!) It's gone from Visalia (which I've never heard of, but I guess is where GMT are, or nearby), to Bakersfield (which I have), to "Ontario, CA". Now, working for an ISP / telco that operates in thirteen countries and deals with a few more, I'm used to two-letter location codes being *countries*, not states. And CA is Canada. And the Ontario I've heard of is in Canada.

WTF is my game doing in Canada en-route from California to the UK ?

Checked again later, next stop is Philadelphia, which is where UPS normally goes to from the west coast to me, at which point it dawns on me that "Ontario, CA, US" is still in California shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Hanley
Scotland
Glasgow
Strathclyde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TommieSL wrote:

I also agree, especially since Northern Ireland never had a regional flag anyway .

And while we're at it, I'd like to see the worldwide gamers database working with UK post codes or providing an alternative way to search for non-US gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan wrote:
And while we're at it, I'd like to see the worldwide gamers database working with UK post codes or providing an alternative way to search for non-US gamers.

It's not going to happen with UK Post Codes. Unlike the US Zip Code, you have to pay a license (which runs at thousands of pounds) to do any kind of Post Code lookup. People who ignore this, and go ahead anyway - even for non-commercial sites - have received halt and desist notices and the threat of lawyers.

Which means you need the alternative approach, as you say.

The need for a UK gamer lookup facility has recently become a minor issue for me. Since I started my local gaming group website, it has brought in quite a few emails from people far and wide, asking me if I knew of a club local to them.

As BGG didn't have a UK gamer locator, and I thought it wouldn't be done any any time soon (it is, after all, a US site), I decided to design my own website to do the job - not a competitor for BGG, simply a site with a UK Gamer database/search engine and some kind of forum, with a prominent link to BGG for all other needs.

I am using Google Maps, allowing people to mark their location simply by placing a pin. Over Christmas, I was learning how the API worked, and thought I would have something ready by February.

On returning from the holiday I found that Aldie has gone full time, and on seeing his own Google Map stuff, I realise it is possible that BGG is closer to a UK solution than I originally thought. In which case, I'm not sure that we need a separate site.

However, and disappointingly, while playing with Google Maps, I discovered that they currently cover the US, the UK and Japan. The rest of the world - including Europe, Australia, Canada etc - has no useful detail. So it looks like this approach, which will work for the UK, will not be of any use to the other countries that might like coverage, and each country will need its own separate approach/solution. Which begs the question, will Aldie want to implement a completely bespoke solution, just for the UK?

Anyway, we've exchanged a couple of emails on the subject, and I am planning to finish my code anyway, for satisfaction, if nothing else. If Aldie can get something working on BGG, then I'll perfectly happy to leave it to him. On the other hand, if a BGG solution looks like being a way off, I will launch my site, either as a permanent solution, or an interim measure.

Will keep folk informed of the progress with my own code.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Hanley
Scotland
Glasgow
Strathclyde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
It's not going to happen with UK Post Codes. Unlike the US Zip Code, you have to pay a license (which runs at thousands of pounds) to do any kind of Post Code lookup. People who ignore this, and go ahead anyway - even for non-commercial sites - have received halt and desist notices and the threat of lawyers.

Ah, I didn't realise. That is unfortunate.

Quote:
As BGG didn't have a UK gamer locator, and I thought it wouldn't be done any any time soon (it is, after all, a US site), I decided to design my own website to do the job - not a competitor for BGG, simply a site with a UK Gamer database/search engine and some kind of forum, with a prominent link to BGG for all other needs.

This sounds good. I think it is really important to have an easily searchable database of gamers. Especially from a club point of view.

Personally I'd like to see searching by city or, if that's not possible, by county. That way it would be easy to find local gamers quickly.

Quote:
Anyway, we've exchanged a couple of emails on the subject, and I am planning to finish my code anyway, for satisfaction, if nothing else. If Aldie can get something working on BGG, then I'll perfectly happy to leave it to him. On the other hand, if a BGG solution looks like being a way off, I will launch my site, either as a permanent solution, or an interim measure.

Please do let us know when you get up and running. I for one will really appreciate such a resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan wrote:
This sounds good. I think it is really important to have an easily searchable database of gamers. Especially from a club point of view.

Personally I'd like to see searching by city or, if that's not possible, by county. That way it would be easy to find local gamers quickly.

The basic search will be done by zooming to the area of interest on my Google Map application, and seeing which pins appear in your local area. You can then click on individual pins to see the details for that group or player.

Once that is working, I'll get to work on either interpreting the data, or gathering addition form data, to provide a text search at county level, at the very least.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I'm looking forward to both of these ideas coming into fruition Chris. I spent a long time looking for a gaming group, decided Manchester was the only place (hour long drive), only to find out a group had started meeting a 3 minute drive from my house! AND the groups main protagonist had been lurking the site for a good few months and has a great collection of games already, living only a 5 minutes drive the other way. I like landing on my feet but I feel sorry for someone unlucky enough not to be able to find this information.
PLEASE BGG give us our freeeeeeeeedom!

(ok ok poor reference)

George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Best
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a little out of date now, but splitting the Europe forum really did, and does, seem to be a sensible idea. Perhaps with Christmas cheer in the air, it might be possible to have something done?

Engage Cosmic Encounter sniveller persona:
Pleeeeeease!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A note on the Googlemaps idea, as someone has recently posted to this thread, and brought it to light again.

I never did get around to finishing my code for this - due to a combination of being busy with my own gaming group's website, and my day job changing (a little) to involve more web work. When you have spent all day working on web code, you don't feel like doing it in the evening as well.

However, that (work) project has ended now, which makes me more amenable to doing web work in my leisure time. So I have got onto this again, and hope to have something to show for it sometime in the new year.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Chris, an excellent suggestion to achieve a more Europe friendly approach to searches. A sub folder to Canada......those responsible should be ashamed.

Come the glorious day that I am King of the world, all Country specific features (comps/ Walmart special offers) will be filtered from those who can't participate and country specific news/ bulletin boards will be available.

However I have to 'fess up to being very provincial about flags. There was a time that I thought the UK should give up fielding individual teams for the World Cup etc and have one United Team. However, having been told I would 'suffer' if a wore an England Rugby shirt in a Welsh pub during the 6 nations, was threatened at a concert in Milton Keynes by 6 Scots when I cheered an England score announced over over a tannoy (and escaped a proper shoeing only because I coincidentally and very luckily knew one of them), and politely asked to leave a pub in Dublin one Sunday afternoon because of my accent (sober I promise and even wearing an Irish Guiness shirt), I have come to realise that the English are being pressurised to have all current national identity and pride eroded. The English are the only country in the UK not to have their own national anthem (vote Jerusalem).

Dig into any country's history and you will find murky elements. I am not personally responsible for slavery, Cromwells behaviour in Ireland, executing William Wallace or closing Welsh coal mines. Being born English (or any other Nationality for that matter) is no reason to apologise ever.

By all means use the Union flag for collective purposes, but my cross of Saint George stays and I urge all BGG'ers who fly flags of St Andrew, the Triclour, or the red dragon, to continue to do so. Guys in Northern Ireland, get a flag on here quick. Be proud of your origins but don't be bigotted about anothers nationality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
tim-pelican wrote:
ideogram wrote:
So if Canada is part of the U.S.

Don't get me started on that. GMT and UPS have conspired to mess with head spendidly today.

Ups are a bunch of fucking idiots!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Big Bad Lex wrote:

However I have to 'fess up to being very provincial about flags. There was a time that I thought the UK should give up fielding individual teams for the World Cup etc and have one United Team.

Its probaly the only way you guys will ever have a chance to win the rugby ever again. ahaahaha even when it is the british lions you guys still get flogged! i will give credit for 2003 you had a great forward pack and a goal kicker who hardly ever missed, but those times are gone my friend, the northern hemisphere never had a chance vs us down here in Australia, NZ and South Africa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osama Bin Davis wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:

However I have to 'fess up to being very provincial about flags. There was a time that I thought the UK should give up fielding individual teams for the World Cup etc and have one United Team.

Its probaly the only way you guys will ever have a chance to win the rugby ever again. ahaahaha even when it is the british lions you guys still get flogged! i will give credit for 2003 you had a great forward pack and a goal kicker who hardly ever missed, but those times are gone my friend, the northern hemisphere never had a chance vs us down here in Australia, NZ and South Africa!

I'm a patriot but not stupid. Indeed I thinks its the Kiwis turn in 2007. 2003 was a slice of heaven but the fall from grace has been hideous. I'll be happy if England make it to the quarter finals.

Anyhows, if you are in Oz why is the flag German?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Big Bad Lex wrote:
#
I'm a patriot but not stupid. Indeed I thinks its the Kiwis turn in 2007. 2003 was a slice of heaven but the fall from grace has been hideous. I'll be happy if England make it to the quarter finals.

Anyhows, if you are in Oz why is the flag German?

nah the kiwis cant win a world cup, they always choke. I think south africa will win it.

but abt my german flag. its because im australian, but currently living in germany, all because i fell in love with a german girl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.