Subject: Cartagena - the real life incident? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Kulp
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Curious, I tried to look up the supposedly "famous" pirate prison escape from Cartagena that the game refers to. Searching Google in numerous ways, I first had to add the term "-game" to weed out any references to the boardgame, which is all I was getting. I searched several histories of Cartagena. Many, many references to pirate sieges of the city to capture its treasure of gold and emeralds from the recently plundered Inca empire, but not a single mention of a specific 1672 jail escape. I then turned to my thick, 1000-page world history book that holds up my computer monitor. Nothing.

So what the hell is the game referring to? Does anybody have a reference for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have expected more coverage of the jail escape: The bizarre tales of pirates moving forward and backwards for no good reason would be fascinating to any historian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember, the movie Fargo (one of my favorite films, btw) opened with a title card that read: "This is a true story. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 1987. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred."

Thing is, THAT statement isn't actually true. I love the Coen brothers!

~Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
The "famous prison escape" is a fabrication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.