Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cacy
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all,

I was wondering for those of you who have wargamed 15mm before the release of A&A mini's, how close to 15mm are the figures- in particular the vehicles?

I've got some dupes, that well ... I'll trade if the right trade comes along, but I don't mind the dupes as they add to the "flavor" of the game. But being that they mass produce the figures and all armor is numbered the "same" it can get a tad confusing which figure needs what marker (Oh no the dreaded "think time" for wargaming! ).

SO I was considering getting some decals, but I'm not sure if I should go with 15mm decals or 1/285 decals based on the size of these vehicles.

I appreciate any info you might be able to send my way on this.

Best of luck in Europe or Asia, depending on who you're attacking at the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the vehicle/gun scales have been a little variable and some of them are off scale to a noticible degree. For example, the M-18 Hellcat is too big, the M5 Halftrack and M5 AT gun are too small.
The soldiers have been more consistent and tend to be pretty close to 'true' 15mm scale, which means that they generally are 14mm from the top of the base to eye-level for standing soldiers. According to the "Barrett Scale" used in the miniatures wargame magazine The Courier, the would be rated 14M. (M for medium) Most pewter "15mm" figures tend to be a little bigger, however, running at 15H or 16H Barrett (H for Heavy) meaning that they are not precisely compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the figures, think Freikorps 15's--which are very close to "true" 15's. They are smaller than Old Glory, Essex and Minifig 15's. The vehicles, as a previous respondent noted, are all over the map in scale. The US halftrack is small, the Hellcat looks to be 1/100 (when the supposed A&A scale is 1/120) and 15's generally are about 1/115--the former Quality Cast line, now offered by Battle Honours, was around 1/108.

Generally, the A&A vehicles are too small to be used alongside purpose-made miniature wargame 15mm vehicles, although some of them won't look bad in whole units if you can get enough (the Italian M13/40, for instance).

The figures, because of their thick bases, could be used alongside some 15mm wargame figures, but most of them will be much slighter of build or the best part of a head short, except for the abovementioned Freikorps 15's. Again, if you field them in whole units, the look is tolerable on the table, especially if you're doing individually based skirmish games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.