Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played the game once with 3 players. i haven't tried this, but the idea struck me to speed up the game by effectively skipping the first castle round.

set up the game as usual, but also seed random brown buildings on the track up until the point when dungeon scoring would occur. play as normal from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
I can't say I'd recommend skipping the first Castle phase because the Carpenter now becomes extremely important, as well as going first next turn (the Stables).

Caylus is so NOT random (other than starting order and neutral building placement), that I'd recommended against adding any more randomness like placing more neutral wood buildings.

If you want to add more randomness to Caylus, I'd recommend something like Event or Situation cards like those in Vegas Showdown and Bang! High Noon.

If you want to speed up Caylus, I'd try forced Bailiff doubling combined with decreased Castle batch size (say 1 pink with 1 other cube).

I'm not a fan of varients. But I agree that any variantion that speeds up Caylus might be something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, the goal wasn't to introduce more randomness, just to reduce play length. i posted it just to throw an idea out there - the increased weight on initial turn order did occur to me, but i couldn't know without playing it.

forced double-bailiff was the first thing that came to mind, but it seems like that would diminish the utility of provost-related stuff too greatly. maybe for more confrontation-averse players that would be a boon, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
astroglide wrote:
forced double-bailiff was the first thing that came to mind, but it seems like that would diminish the utility of provost-related stuff too greatly. maybe for more confrontation-averse players that would be a boon, though.

Naw. The Provost is basically concerned with the current turn only. Certainly, it can be used to effect how fast the Bailiff moves, but generally the Provost is just a current-turn building activater (or deactivater).

Bailiff doulbling encourages City building, that's why I added the variation to reduce Castle building batch size. But maybe that variation is not needed, since a speedier game means PPs from others using buildings will be less. I don't know.

To speed Settlers of Catan, I know they have the variation to disable 7's in the first two rounds (players can hoard to build quicker without fear of the Robber). Cities and Knights does something similiar with the Pirates not pillaging the first time down. Maybe the YS game designers with devise something similar for Caylus. It would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what i'm referring to is that the provost begins the turn at the bailiff's current location. isn't that correct?

if the bailiff is moving 2 spaces per turn instead of the normal 1, this means that the provost will be seeded much further down. the further down it is seeded, the more difficult/expensive it will be to move it to the left in order to punish the players that use the outermost buildings. since that is the key use of the provost, i think double bailiff should reduce its utility quite a bit and result in a less confrontational game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I like this idea for speed Caylus of moving the bailiff forward
two after each round and I may try this but I would make one
small change:

Rather then the provost moving to the new bailiff location, I would
have him be one spot behind the bailiff and hence more of a potential
threat.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.