Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: 102
Terence: 92
Marisue: 82

Well, the other day we got a geekmail from Casterman, better known to us as Dancin'Dan due to the time we played Princes of Florence with him and he managed a huge come from behind victory on his last turn, CRUSHING my hope of winning the game for the first time (a feat I've not yet pulled off). After Dan moved his scoring piece around the board and found he'd actually won, he got up, "WOOHOOOOOOO" and literally danced around the table. Adding a little more dimension to the tale, I should mention we were sitting in the mall, at Craving for a Game at the time - people walking past the store were loooooking

Anyway, not that has anything to do with anything, I've just always wanted to tell that story. So we get a geekmail from Dan and he's noticed we acquired Caylus & RR Tycoon for Christmas, and gosh golly he'd love to learn how to play them! So on this drizzly BC Saturday Dancin'Dan showed up at our door to learn Caylus. He came prepared after reading the rules so we were really able to set up and go.

We'd been wanting to play Caylus with a third person since with just Terence & myself we do find it hard to be as cutthroat as the game is intended to be (this is clearly my fault - "Do that and you'll never have sex again!!" he can't be to sure I'm joking...). Dan certainly wasn't shy about being cutthroat, that much is sure. Both Terence & I were his victims more than once, but he was always careful to never leave an opening for us to screw him over. Damn his craftiness. He also proved to be a great schemer, teaming up with either Terence or I to get the other - and since we wanted revenge..

Dan had no problem developing a winning strategy, he ended up building 3 residences and converting 1 to a prestige building. On the other hand, I had become used to the abundance of resources that you find in a two player game and wasn't able to even get a single residence put up - this made me sad come income time when both Terence & Dan were collecting 5 to my 2. Cash was very tight so I was using favors, selling cubes and anything else I could to get any money. I tried my strategy of hoarding gold to influence the end game, but it wasn't nearly enough.

In addition, this being the first time we had played a 3 player game, turn order became very important and I found myself in last for the better part of the game, mostly because I was so cash poor that I couldn't afford to put a guy on the space to move turn order... *sigh*

At least Dancin'Dan didn't break into song, but I still want revenge! Anytime, Casterman, we'll keep the board warmed up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First player game
Uhmm...you forgot it was 102 ME; 92 Terence; 82 you mwaahaahaaa!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First player game
That was purely accidental! Honest! I fixed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Blais
Canada
Burnaby
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So Dan, how come you didn't win last night with a bunch of rookies????
I don't recall you saying you had played the game already..
Had fun, still undecided about whether I'll add it to my collection.
Cheers,
mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.